Posted to alt.home.repair

Default prepwork for trim..

Chris wrote:
I am about to paint the trim in my stairway.. It has 2-3 coats of
paint. I know the top coat is a latex paint, and the bottom is lead
paint.. I did a swab test and found it out.

What would be best after washing down with a non-soapy detergent- a
light sanding, or using liquid sandpaper? I am going from a medium
blue to a bright semi-gloss white. Would priming be necessary?

1. Latex doesn't sand so use TSP ("liquid sandpaper") to kill any gloss.

2. No primer needed, it already has paint. You may need 2 coats of top
paint to hide the blue.

Opinion: putting latex on wood should be a flogging offense.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 3:46*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

Opinion: putting latex on wood should be a flogging offense.

Interesting - why is that? (I'm curious since I've committed the
offense on more than one occasion...)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
On Oct 13, 3:46 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

Opinion: putting latex on wood should be a flogging offense.

Interesting - why is that? (I'm curious since I've committed the
offense on more than one occasion...)

1. You can't sand it

2. Doesn't flow well, ergo brush marks

3. Did I mention that you can't sand it?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, since there is lead paranoia here, let me also say that I heard
that oil based paint is being phased out now.. So, eventually you are
going to be stuck using latex paint anyway.. Gotta go, my lead sundae
is melting..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Oct 14, 2:48*pm, Chris wrote:
Well, since there is lead paranoia here, let me also say that I heard
that oil based paint is being phased out now.. So, eventually you are
going to be stuck using latex paint anyway.. Gotta go, my lead sundae
is melting..

It's not paranoia. Say there's a 1/2 of 1% chance that you'll do
something that will seriously damage your kids, give him/her a
lifetime of problems, and basically devastate his/her life. Is it
worth the risk?

Lead-safe work practices are relatively easy. Taking care of your kid
that you screwed up is difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What if there is no kid? I think it would be fun to watch retarded
mice..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Oct 15, 2:38*pm, Chris wrote:
What if there is no kid? I think it would be fun to watch retarded
mice..

Yeah, until you either sell the property or a niece/nephew/neighbor
comes over and you get sued. Then the retarded mice will be watching
you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bet you are voting for Obama...

What do I really need to cut trim? [email protected] Woodworking 5 June 25th 06 05:53 AM
Looking for trim lemmy UK diy 4 May 5th 06 09:04 AM
Using a trim router bit on 1x2x8 oak trim? N Hurst Woodworking 10 March 1st 06 06:51 PM
Will a flush trim bit plow thru or trim one edge only? bent Woodworking 4 March 1st 06 11:53 AM
Trim saw Javier Henderson Woodworking 3 January 4th 06 12:56 PM