Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawnmower - won't start, spills gas when pull starting

"ransley" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 5:53 pm, TimR wrote:
I admit, I don't know much about the insides of these things.

Have a compression test performed on the engine. An exhaust valve
stuck open would leak un-burnt fuel out the exhaust.

Pass that test, first.

While the exhaust valve stuck open makes sense for the unburnt fuel to
come out, does it also make sense that I'm pulling the cord against an
all but locked engine? I can pull it slowly, as if compression is
leaking down. Seems reasonable that if either valve were open I
should be able to spin it easily.

I have taken one apart, but it was years ago, and at my age memory is
unreliable. That one wouldn't start, but pulled easily, and when I
got it open I found the circular piece that connects the bottom of the
piston to the crankshaft had broken in pieces. I've also rebuilt
several automotive carburetors, but they were even more decades ago.

A stuck carburetor float would account for the extra gas - would it
also account for the heavy resistance? If so, it's worth taking apart
to see. But if there are two separate things broken it's probably not
worth the effort.

A stuck valve wouldnt put in enough gas to squirt out, hard pulling
indicated the cilinder and oil have gasolene in them, it happened to a
friend we removed the plug and gas squirted out 15ft, look into
thecarb issue first see if oil has gas in it

Along with all the good advice you have been given, be very careful of fire.
Excess gasoline and sparks from the ignition should not be allowed together.
Even the fumes can ignite from a loose spark plug cable or removed spark
plug.

It does sound like your cylinder is full of gas and there is very likely gas
in the oil. The engine should rotate freely with the spark plug out and the
blade brake released by pulling the stop lever against the handle.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's an old mower that was given to me. The cap says unleaded gas,
the manual says four stroke, so I didn't use premix.

Tank was dry, I put in gas, when I yank the starter cord it's like I'm
pulling against compression and gas squirts out the exhaust. Lots of
it.

Sounds like it's dead and not revivable, but any idea what exactly is
broken?

I admit, I don't know much about the insides of these things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
It's an old mower that was given to me. The cap says unleaded gas,
the manual says four stroke, so I didn't use premix.

Tank was dry, I put in gas, when I yank the starter cord it's like I'm
pulling against compression and gas squirts out the exhaust. Lots of
it.

Sounds like it's dead and not revivable, but any idea what exactly is
broken?

I admit, I don't know much about the insides of these things.

Perhaps the float in the carburator is stuck open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
It's an old mower that was given to me. The cap says unleaded gas,
the manual says four stroke, so I didn't use premix.

Tank was dry, I put in gas, when I yank the starter cord it's like I'm
pulling against compression and gas squirts out the exhaust. Lots of
it.

Sounds like it's dead and not revivable, but any idea what exactly is
broken?

I admit, I don't know much about the insides of these things.

It's not dead, it just needs a simple carb repair. The float is stuck open
or sunk or otherwise not closing so gas pours into the engine. Remove the
carb, take it apart, clean, replace gaskets and maybe float/needle/seat as
needed, put it back together. If you don't know how to do this, find a
repair shop if the mower is worth the cost of repair. Maybe find a buddy
that can do this? Otherwise, you might want to just get rid of it if it
isn't worth what it would take to fix.

Fixing the carb is no guarantee there is nothing else wrong. You might spend
a lot of money fixing the carb only to find the engine is blown.

Drain the gas tank. crank it a few times so there is no gas in the engine.
Clean the plug, make sure it is clean and dry. Squirt some starter fluid
into the carb and crank the engine a few times to see if it fires. It should
start up and fire a dozen times or so and then die. If it won't fire with a
clean plug and a squirt of starter fluid in the carb, there is something
else wrong with it besides just the carb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
I admit, I don't know much about the insides of these things.

Then spend some time learning. Come back and ask the question again
after you've read the Time Life book on small engines and small engine
repair, available at your local library. Maybe you'll have a glimmer
of hope of understanding any solutions we give to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 11:41*am, TimR wrote:
It's an old mower that was given to me. *The cap says unleaded gas,
the manual says four stroke, so I didn't use premix.

Tank was dry, I put in gas, when I yank the starter cord it's like I'm
pulling against compression and gas squirts out the exhaust. *Lots of
it.

Sounds like it's dead and not revivable, but any idea what exactly is
broken?

I admit, I don't know much about the insides of these things.

Yes likely float stuck and now likely the oil is likely full of gas
and soon the cilinder head. Get the gas out, if oil level is up ,
drain oil, and pull spark plug and crank it to see if gas shoots out.
You can remove the carb bowl to see if the float moves up and down.
Dont run it with gas in the oil, it wont lube. Before spending any
money, now with the plug out check to see if you get spark by holding
the plug wire 1/4" from the head with your hand and pull the starter
cord. A minor shock will tell you its getting spark, pull the starter
cord fast and hold tight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 11:41 am, TimR wrote:
[...]

Also, if it has a lever on the handle with a cable going to the engine, you
need to squeeze it. It's an emergency stop.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Al" writes:

check to see if you get spark by holding
the plug wire 1/4" from the head with your hand and pull the starter
cord. A minor shock will tell you its getting spark, pull the starter
cord fast and hold tight.

Did that once.
Must have been 19 years old.
more than 40 years later, I say
DON'T DO IT, IT HURTS!

Best to leave the plug lying on the head,
you can see the spark.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob F, Jesse Ramirez wrote:
My push lawnmower won't start and shoot gas from the exhaust

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ng-335005-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/16 11:44 AM, Jesse Ramirez wrote:

My push lawnmower won't start and shoot gas from the exhaust

Hi Jesse, as a certified lawnmower technician I have come across this
problem many times in my line of work. The problem is that there is
something wrong with your lawnmower.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2016 10:49 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 9/20/16 11:44 AM, Jesse Ramirez wrote:

My push lawnmower won't start and shoot gas from the exhaust

Hi Jesse, as a certified lawnmower technician I have come across this
problem many times in my line of work. The problem is that there is
something wrong with your lawnmower.

Jon

something that only a certified lawnmower technician can correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:54:12 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 9/20/2016 10:49 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 9/20/16 11:44 AM, Jesse Ramirez wrote:

My push lawnmower won't start and shoot gas from the exhaust

Hi Jesse, as a certified lawnmower technician I have come across this
problem many times in my line of work. The problem is that there is
something wrong with your lawnmower.

Jon

something that only a certified lawnmower technician can correct.

.... especially if gas is shot from the exhaust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

On 9/20/2016 10:49 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 9/20/16 11:44 AM, Jesse Ramirez wrote:

My push lawnmower won't start and shoot gas from the exhaust

Hi Jesse, as a certified lawnmower technician I have come across this
problem many times in my line of work. The problem is that there is
something wrong with your lawnmower.

Jon

something that only a certified lawnmower technician can correct.

... especially if gas is shot from the exhaust.

this leads to the question what kind of gas is being shot out the exhaust
and what type of weapon is required to perform the operation.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

On 9/20/2016 10:49 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 9/20/16 11:44 AM, Jesse Ramirez wrote:

My push lawnmower won't start and shoot gas from the exhaust

Hi Jesse, as a certified lawnmower technician I have come across this
problem many times in my line of work. The problem is that there is
something wrong with your lawnmower.

Jon

something that only a certified lawnmower technician can correct.

... especially if gas is shot from the exhaust.

this leads to the question what kind of gas is being shot out the exhaust
and what type of weapon is required to perform the operation.

Ever see a Mexican drag line?

https://tinyurl.com/zx295gp
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:07:26 -0400, Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

On 9/20/2016 10:49 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 9/20/16 11:44 AM, Jesse Ramirez wrote:

My push lawnmower won't start and shoot gas from the exhaust

Hi Jesse, as a certified lawnmower technician I have come across this
problem many times in my line of work. The problem is that there is
something wrong with your lawnmower.

Jon

something that only a certified lawnmower technician can correct.

... especially if gas is shot from the exhaust.

this leads to the question what kind of gas is being shot out the exhaust
and what type of weapon is required to perform the operation.

Ever see a Mexican drag line?

https://tinyurl.com/zx295gp

Now I know...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 16:27:57 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Ever see a Mexican drag line?

https://tinyurl.com/zx295gp

Now I know...

Has also been deemed a Mexican backhoe
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Ever see a Mexican drag line?

https://tinyurl.com/zx295gp

Now I know...

Has also been deemed a Mexican backhoe
.

I've been workn on the chain gang ~~~~~~~~~

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mkirsch1, Shredhead wrote:
You are an idiot

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-335005-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 17:14:02 GMT, Shredhead
m wrote:

replying to mkirsch1, Shredhead wrote:
You are an idiot

....coming from Groaner Hub the irony meter pegged out.