Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire pit

I know this isn't a "home repair" question but I am wondering if anyone has
this minor problem with a fire pit on a wooden deck.

We bought a fire pit yesterday from Home Depot and placed it on the corner
of our wooden deck. After awhile, I noticed the deck turning darker under
the pit as well as something which looks like tree sap oozing out. I believe
it may be the stain/sealant I applied a few months ago. Anyway, I was
thinking of putting four 2 ft x 1 inch thick pavers forming a square under
the pit. Will this be enough to disperse or stop the heat from penetrating
to the deck?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 6:28*pm, "SBH" wrote:
I know this isn't a "home repair" question but I am wondering if anyone has
this minor problem with a fire pit on a wooden deck.

We bought a fire pit yesterday from Home Depot and placed it on the corner
of our wooden deck. After awhile, I noticed the deck turning darker under
the pit as well as something which looks like tree sap oozing out. I believe
it may be the stain/sealant I applied a few months ago. Anyway, I was
thinking of putting four 2 ft x 1 inch thick pavers forming a square under
the pit. Will this be enough to disperse or stop the heat from penetrating
to the deck?

Thanks

A fire place on a wooden deck! Dumb idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in message
I know this isn't a "home repair" question but I am wondering if anyone has
this minor problem with a fire pit on a wooden deck.

We bought a fire pit yesterday from Home Depot and placed it on the corner
of our wooden deck. After awhile, I noticed the deck turning darker under
the pit as well as something which looks like tree sap oozing out. I
believe it may be the stain/sealant I applied a few months ago. Anyway, I
was thinking of putting four 2 ft x 1 inch thick pavers forming a square
under the pit. Will this be enough to disperse or stop the heat from
penetrating to the deck?

Thanks

While I agree with the other poster that a fire pit on a wood deck is not
the best thing to do,

I think to accomplish your goals and some degree of safety you did to have a
solid barrier under the fire pit. Make it at least 12" larger all around and
at least 1" thick. 2" would be better. Please note that local codes may
specify something else and that the fine print somewhere says not to use
this device on a wood deck.

Best wishes.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 29, 9:28*pm, "SBH" wrote:
I know this isn't a "home repair" question but I am wondering if anyone has
this minor problem with a fire pit on a wooden deck.

We bought a fire pit yesterday from Home Depot and placed it on the corner
of our wooden deck. After awhile, I noticed the deck turning darker under
the pit as well as something which looks like tree sap oozing out. I believe
it may be the stain/sealant I applied a few months ago. Anyway, I was
thinking of putting four 2 ft x 1 inch thick pavers forming a square under
the pit. Will this be enough to disperse or stop the heat from penetrating
to the deck?

Thanks

sure. same as putting a woodstove on blocks in ones basement. fill the
spaces between the pavers with sand. works for us. make the square as
large as you can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wrote:
On Sep 29, 9:28 pm, "SBH" wrote:
I know this isn't a "home repair" question but I am wondering if anyone has
this minor problem with a fire pit on a wooden deck.

We bought a fire pit yesterday from Home Depot and placed it on the corner
of our wooden deck. After awhile, I noticed the deck turning darker under
the pit as well as something which looks like tree sap oozing out. I believe
it may be the stain/sealant I applied a few months ago. Anyway, I was
thinking of putting four 2 ft x 1 inch thick pavers forming a square under
the pit. Will this be enough to disperse or stop the heat from penetrating
to the deck?

Thanks

sure. same as putting a woodstove on blocks in ones basement. fill the
spaces between the pavers with sand. works for us. make the square as
large as you can.

And when the sand runs through the cracks on the deck? Pavers are cheap,
coat the entire area under the fire pit with them. The problem is likely
due more to radiant heat than conducted heat anyway.

But like the others have said, best to get it off the deck in the first
place. OP's insurance company would likely take a very dim view of that
in any case, no matter how well insulated.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 4:28*pm, "SBH" wrote:
I know this isn't a "home repair" question but I am wondering if anyone has
this minor problem with a fire pit on a wooden deck.

We bought a fire pit yesterday from Home Depot and placed it on the corner
of our wooden deck. After awhile, I noticed the deck turning darker under
the pit as well as something which looks like tree sap oozing out. I believe
it may be the stain/sealant I applied a few months ago. Anyway, I was
thinking of putting four 2 ft x 1 inch thick pavers forming a square under
the pit. Will this be enough to disperse or stop the heat from penetrating
to the deck?

Thanks

You can put it on fire brick but it's not cheap. It's made for big
industrial furnaces and it won't conduct the heat like other
materials. Regular pavers will probably do nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Are there wooden railings near the fire pit? Have you made sure you
have a clear area around the pit?
Is your fire insurance up to date?
You might want to check those instructions!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I understand the concern from those of you who feel the pit shouldn't be on
a deck but there are a few factors involved.

1. It will never be left unattended
2. It's on the corner of the deck where there are no rails and it's open on
all sides. Two sides are grass area and the other two is the deck.
3. It's within 8 feet of my garden hose which I have on while the pit is
lit.

Therefore, my only concern is burning the deck from underneath due to the
heat. I've setled on an idea brought about by some of your suggestions,
which I appreaciated. I beleive as I remain alert to the surroundings, it'll
be fine.

Thanks for the help

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 6:28*pm, "SBH" wrote:
I know this isn't a "home repair" question but I am wondering if anyone has
this minor problem with a fire pit on a wooden deck.

We bought a fire pit yesterday from Home Depot and placed it on the corner
of our wooden deck. After awhile, I noticed the deck turning darker under
the pit as well as something which looks like tree sap oozing out. I believe
it may be the stain/sealant I applied a few months ago. Anyway, I was
thinking of putting four 2 ft x 1 inch thick pavers forming a square under
the pit. Will this be enough to disperse or stop the heat from penetrating
to the deck?

Thanks

I was going to put mine on my wood deck, instead I put it on concrete.
1" block wont do, heat will still turn you deck to charcoal and
eventualy catch fire, Block with sand fill or a dual layer with an air
space. You have to realise the heat will be maybe 700f and it will
soak into the deck all night cooking it till it spontaniously
combusts, fireplaces burn real hot, talk to a fireplace shop, another
reason not to do it is blowing embers and it tipping over somehow,
accidents happen, I have a few outdoor fireplaces, i have had one get
out of control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:28:47 -0400, "SBH"
wrote:

I understand the concern from those of you who feel the pit shouldn't be on
a deck but there are a few factors involved.

1. It will never be left unattended
2. It's on the corner of the deck where there are no rails and it's open on
all sides. Two sides are grass area and the other two is the deck.
3. It's within 8 feet of my garden hose which I have on while the pit is
lit.

Therefore, my only concern is burning the deck from underneath due to the
heat. I've setled on an idea brought about by some of your suggestions,
which I appreaciated. I beleive as I remain alert to the surroundings, it'll
be fine.

Thanks for the help

All it takes is one (ONE) ember to fall between the boards of the
deck. You would be amazed at how much combustible material is included
in the dirt below. A few hours after you think the fire is out, and
leave for dinner at your favorite restaurant, That ember will finally
manage to assert itself. When you come home, you'll be greeted by the
fire department, and told to wait across the street.

It's a REALLY stupid plan.