Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Fire pit

On Sep 29, 6:28*pm, "SBH" wrote:
I know this isn't a "home repair" question but I am wondering if anyone has
this minor problem with a fire pit on a wooden deck.

We bought a fire pit yesterday from Home Depot and placed it on the corner
of our wooden deck. After awhile, I noticed the deck turning darker under
the pit as well as something which looks like tree sap oozing out. I believe
it may be the stain/sealant I applied a few months ago. Anyway, I was
thinking of putting four 2 ft x 1 inch thick pavers forming a square under
the pit. Will this be enough to disperse or stop the heat from penetrating
to the deck?

Thanks

I was going to put mine on my wood deck, instead I put it on concrete.
1" block wont do, heat will still turn you deck to charcoal and
eventualy catch fire, Block with sand fill or a dual layer with an air
space. You have to realise the heat will be maybe 700f and it will
soak into the deck all night cooking it till it spontaniously
combusts, fireplaces burn real hot, talk to a fireplace shop, another
reason not to do it is blowing embers and it tipping over somehow,
accidents happen, I have a few outdoor fireplaces, i have had one get
out of control.