Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quieter muffler for generator ?

I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high.
(5500 watt)

Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.

I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger
generators with half the decibel level.

Any ideas to make it quieter ?

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Raleigh_3_Speed" wrote in message
I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high.
(5500 watt)

Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.

I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger
generators with half the decibel level.

Any ideas to make it quieter ?

Thanks,
Andy

That is all they have, but they "could" make a better one at a higher price.
They just don't want to.

I once made an engine quieter by adding a wrap of thin metal around the
muffler extending about 10" longer. Just be sure you don't add any
restrictions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Raleigh_3_Speed" wrote in message
I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high.
(5500 watt)

Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.

I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger
generators with half the decibel level.

Any ideas to make it quieter ?

Thanks,
Andy

Cheap air-cooled generators make lots of noise. The better ones have more
cylinders and sound attenuated enclosures. The best ones are water cooled,
very heavy and have sound attenuated enclosures. The more you pay, the
better, more reliable, longer lifespan,more stable electrical output, and
quieter they get

Posted to alt.home.repair

Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:
I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high.
(5500 watt)

Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.

I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger
generators with half the decibel level.

Any ideas to make it quieter ?

Thanks,
Andy

I've had a muffler shop make pipes for
me before so I could add a different
muffler to a small generator. You could
find a muffler for a very small car like
one of those 3 cylinder jobs. A good
independent muffler shop, not one of the
chain stores because of their reluctance
to improvise, would be a good place to
look for help. A good exhaust system tech
could make the bigger muffler fit on top
of your generator so it would still be
portable.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 10:25*pm, Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:
I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high.
(5500 watt)

Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.

I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger
generators with half the decibel level.

Any ideas to make it quieter ?

Thanks,
* * * * * * * *Andy

They make it noisy so it has a higher watt rating, talk to a local
muffler and tractor-farm supply-lawnmower shop and have someone weld
on a real muffler, it will lower power but so what, I know they are as
loud as jackhammers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 8:08*am, ransley wrote:
On Sep 21, 10:25*pm, Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:

I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high.
(5500 watt)

Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.

I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger
generators with half the decibel level.

Any ideas to make it quieter ?

Thanks,
* * * * * * * *Andy

They make it noisy so it has a higher watt rating, talk to a local
muffler and tractor-farm supply-lawnmower shop and have someone weld
on a real muffler, it will lower power but so what, I know they are as
loud as jackhammers

The muffler on mine was one of those short fat ones about 3 inches in
diameter.
I slippes a 2 ft piece of pipe over the muffler and clamped it in
place with a
water hose clamp. I cant say it quieter but the deeper sound doesnt
bother me as much

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:
I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high.
(5500 watt)

Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.

I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger
generators with half the decibel level.

Any ideas to make it quieter ?

Mine's quite loud.

Fortunately, I can't hear it over the noise made by the other generators in
the neighborhood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 9:25*pm, Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:
I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high.
(5500 watt)

Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.

I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger
generators with half the decibel level.

Any ideas to make it quieter ?

Thanks,
* * * * * * * *Andy

As you are aware,we had a pretty good storm come through Houston and
Galveston county recently. 2 weeks before I was in Northern Tool and
Equip gazing longingly at the Honda eu3000,but didn't get it then. 3
days after ther storm,with no electric and food spoiling,I rode by
Northern because they would not answer the phone.Their phone ser. was
out,but they had generators,and I got in a 2 hr line to get the Honda.
The employees were using their personal cell phones to call in credit
cards,but they made it happen. I will be a customer for life for them
being there when I needed them. The Honda is very quiet and
reliable,and I shoulda got it earlier.

safe and sound,

Tim