dean

Default Can you make a honda GX engine quieter by adding a muffler?

Hello all I have a log splitter with a GX390 engine (13 HP) and its
very noisey, was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to quiet the
thing down?

Bo Williams

dean wrote:
Hello all I have a log splitter with a GX390 engine (13 HP) and its
very noisey, was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to quiet the
thing down?

Relatively little of the noise is exhaust noise; going on a muffler hunt
probably isn't going to be very satisfying.

Honda GX engines are some of the quietest single-cylinder small engines
available. If it's newly noisy, I'd look for a cause; if it's as it's
been since new, you've probably already got it pretty good.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
dean

Its a new engine, its no noisier than any other engine I have, but it
would be nice for the neighbors if I could quiet it down a little. I'm
open to other suggenstions, like could I cover it in an insulated box
and blow a fan through, or something along those lines?

Bo Williams

dean wrote:
Its a new engine, its no noisier than any other engine I have, but it
would be nice for the neighbors if I could quiet it down a little. I'm
open to other suggenstions, like could I cover it in an insulated box
and blow a fan through, or something along those lines?

You could--folks do--but I don't think it's a good idea. You're
creating a lot of heat to deal with, and no fan solution will be nearly
as good as open air. Plus, to be effective, anything you do is going to
mean large openings in the enclosure, a powerful fan with noise of its
own, or both, so how much net noise are you really going to cut?

It's almost certainly not as loud as you think it is. I have your
engine on my lawn tractor and a GX240 (8 HP) on my primary generator,
and you have to be 10-15 feet or less from either of them before you
really even have to raise your voice to be heard and understood. Run
your engine and take a walk down the street a bit. You might be surprised.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
patrick mitchel

dean wrote in message
ups.com...
Its a new engine, its no noisier than any other engine I have, but it
would be nice for the neighbors if I could quiet it down a little. I'm
open to other suggenstions, like could I cover it in an insulated box
and blow a fan through, or something along those lines?

There was a thread about the same thing on the
rec.crafts.metalworking....google is your friend Pat

Sherman

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:32:38 -0500, Bo Williams
wrote:

dean wrote:
Hello all I have a log splitter with a GX390 engine (13 HP) and its
very noisey, was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to quiet the
thing down?

Relatively little of the noise is exhaust noise; going on a muffler hunt
probably isn't going to be very satisfying.

Honda GX engines are some of the quietest single-cylinder small engines
available. If it's newly noisy, I'd look for a cause; if it's as it's
been since new, you've probably already got it pretty good.

Probably true, but never the less, you can still muffle the exhaust
sound. Just don't restrict the air flow and create back pressure.