Bo Williams

dean wrote:
Its a new engine, its no noisier than any other engine I have, but it
would be nice for the neighbors if I could quiet it down a little. I'm
open to other suggenstions, like could I cover it in an insulated box
and blow a fan through, or something along those lines?

You could--folks do--but I don't think it's a good idea. You're
creating a lot of heat to deal with, and no fan solution will be nearly
as good as open air. Plus, to be effective, anything you do is going to
mean large openings in the enclosure, a powerful fan with noise of its
own, or both, so how much net noise are you really going to cut?

It's almost certainly not as loud as you think it is. I have your
engine on my lawn tractor and a GX240 (8 HP) on my primary generator,
and you have to be 10-15 feet or less from either of them before you
really even have to raise your voice to be heard and understood. Run
your engine and take a walk down the street a bit. You might be surprised.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/