Mark

Default Quieter muffler for lawn mower, will it help?

I've been thinking about putting a better muffler on my Sears lawn
mower so that it runs quieter. Several questions

Anybody ever try this?

Will it help or does the rest of the engine and blade make so much
noise that it won't make much difference?

Where can I get a better muffler that can easily attach to the mower
engine?

thanks
Mark

borgunit

Don't do it, just wear hearing protection. Smaller motors need the
"flow" fairly unrestricted and you do not want to mess with it too
much.

Geoff Merryweather.

On 27 Apr 2005 21:00:03 -0700, "Mark" wrote:

I've been thinking about putting a better muffler on my Sears lawn
mower so that it runs quieter. Several questions

Anybody ever try this?

Will it help or does the rest of the engine and blade make so much
noise that it won't make much difference?

Where can I get a better muffler that can easily attach to the mower
engine?

thanks
Mark

There is a limit to what you can achieve with an air cooled motor. The
fins ring, and there is the mechanical noise. The biggest problem is
mounting the new muffler - to make it quieter, it needs to be larger.
Google in rec.craft.metalworking a year or 2 back. One poster (Ernie)
had similar issues with a generator and used a small car muffler. It
made a significnat difference, but the limitation was the mechanical
noise of the motor.
Geoff

Lawmower fire m Ransley Home Repair 4 April 27th 05 04:09 AM
Building a remote control mower Nick Huckaby Metalworking 9 March 6th 05 02:38 PM
Mower wobbles after blade hits rock. Tim Zimmerman Metalworking 24 February 19th 05 09:47 PM
Way OT - Generator Muffler Bob S. Woodworking 5 November 30th 03 02:36 PM
Bad Solenoid on riding mower? --> Blown Rod! Teffy Home Repair 3 July 5th 03 02:13 PM