Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small freezer

The last time I had a 3 day power outage I lost all my frozen food. I'm
thinking of getting a small freezer and "stocking" it with jugs of
water. When we have an outage I will put all my frozen food in it. How
long should the food stay frozen without power? The freezer will be
located in the basement which is usually about 60°F.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

---MIKE--- wrote:
The last time I had a 3 day power outage I lost all my frozen food. I'm
thinking of getting a small freezer and "stocking" it with jugs of
water. When we have an outage I will put all my frozen food in it. How
long should the food stay frozen without power? The freezer will be
located in the basement which is usually about 60°F.

Depends on how good the freezer insulation is and whether it's ever
opened and how much is in it to begin with. If you open it to stock it
_after_ the power is out, not nearly as long as if it were stocked
originally as it'll warm up quite significantly while doing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
The last time I had a 3 day power outage I lost all my frozen food. I'm
thinking of getting a small freezer and "stocking" it with jugs of
water. When we have an outage I will put all my frozen food in it. How
long should the food stay frozen without power? The freezer will be
located in the basement which is usually about 60°F.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Unless your existing freezer (the one in the fridge?) is always full of
steaks or shrimp or something, your solution doesn't sound real
cost-effective. The upfront costs and monthly power costs would easily
exceed a load of food. (assuming the outage isn't due to a major
disaster, and food, power, and ice will be in short supply for a long
time.) But in NH, aren't your long-term outages usually in winter
anyway? A cooler on the back porch wouldn't work?

What I do is keep several of those 'blue ice' reusable packs stuffed in
the corners of the existing freezer, and either just don't open the
freezer door during a failure, or if I know the power will be out for an
extended period, move the ice packs and expensive food to a cooler with
less air volume to keep cold.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
The last time I had a 3 day power outage I lost all my frozen food. I'm
thinking of getting a small freezer and "stocking" it with jugs of
water. When we have an outage I will put all my frozen food in it. How
long should the food stay frozen without power? The freezer will be
located in the basement which is usually about 60°F.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

IF (big if) you suspect bad things consider a good cooler and dry ice.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
The last time I had a 3 day power outage I lost all my frozen food. I'm
thinking of getting a small freezer and "stocking" it with jugs of
water. When we have an outage I will put all my frozen food in it. How
long should the food stay frozen without power? The freezer will be
located in the basement which is usually about 60°F.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

My solution was to get a portable generator wired in with a transfer box
when needed. Losing frozen food was only one problem - there was lack
of water due to being on a well and in the winter, a couple of days
without heat made house uncomfortable.