Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC -- Ductless versus Central Air Upgrade ???

We're converting our 300 sq ft garage into a family room. Trying to
decide between a running $2,000 worth of duct versus buying a $4,000
ductless mini-split system. My preference is to go duct and tap into
my central air.

But I am worried that it will be too warm in the summer. I've got a
dual-zone system. 1.5 ton for the 600 sq ft upstairs and 1.5 ton for
the 600 sq ft downstairs. Calculations show we have almost exactly 300
sq ft capacity left downstairs. It will be close.

Another thought: My Armstrong central air system is 13 years old. It
may be getting close to the end of its life. I am thinking about going
duct, and if it is too warm next summer, upgrading the end-of-life
Armstrong to a higher tonnage.

My question: How much does an average system replacement cost? I want
to replace both the condensor and evaporator coil.

Can you give me parts and labor seperate? I've got family in HVAC that
can do labor free if I provide enough beer.

Thanks,

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"wrldruler" wrote in message

My question: How much does an average system replacement cost? I want
to replace both the condensor and evaporator coil.

Between $500 and $8000

Can you give me parts and labor seperate?

Part: between $250 and $6000
Labor: between $250 and $6000

I've got family in HVAC that
can do labor free if I provide enough beer.

Buy a case of beer and give them a call. We can't see the unit, we can't
see what has to be done to replace the units.
How much does a new car cost? How about a used car? Get the idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your family isn't likely to care what some usenet people think. Call them
directly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"wrldruler" wrote in message

Can you give me parts and labor seperate? I've got family in HVAC that
can do labor free if I provide enough beer.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

To answer the question about "why don't I just call my family"?

(1) I am pulling a permit to do the renovation. Family may not be able
to pull a HVAC permit.

(2) I am willing to spend a thousand or two, NOT to have to deal with
family. I would rather do business with a stranger. Then I can rip
them a new one or hire a lawyer if something goes dreadfully wrong.

(3 My Dad is an old-school duct man, and doesn't do system install &
service. He doesn't know anything about ductless minisplits, and hence
he doesn't agree with me getting one. My cousin is an install &
service man, but doesn't do duct. My cousin is an a-hole. Both live 2+
hours away.

I am just weighing all my options. Going with family may be
difficult.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Present price wholesale material on 1 1/2 ton roughly $2000.00
mark up 50% *=$3000.00 two people half day $ 1000.00
well it looks like in bracket of $4,000.00

Thank you for that response.

A contractor came in to quote a ductless price (which, BTW, was $3K
installed for a no-name import that didn't even come up on a Google
search). I asked him about cost of replacing my central and he quickly
threw out $8K.

But I've been reading on the Internet that it can be done right for
under $5K.

So I am asking around to find out if $8K is realistic, or just a
contractor trying to "encourage" me to go ductless.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:09:21 -0700 (PDT), wrldruler
wrote:

We're converting our 300 sq ft garage into a family room. Trying to
decide between a running $2,000 worth of duct versus buying a $4,000
ductless mini-split system. My preference is to go duct and tap into
my central air.

But I am worried that it will be too warm in the summer. I've got a
dual-zone system. 1.5 ton for the 600 sq ft upstairs and 1.5 ton for
the 600 sq ft downstairs. Calculations show we have almost exactly 300
sq ft capacity left downstairs. It will be close.

Another thought: My Armstrong central air system is 13 years old. It
may be getting close to the end of its life. I am thinking about going
duct, and if it is too warm next summer, upgrading the end-of-life
Armstrong to a higher tonnage.

If it is a long run, I'd just do the mini split, after finding a
better price on one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why so much for the ductless? I installed my own 12,000 btu mini-split for
around $650 three years ago. It works perfectly, easily cooling over 600
square feet.

Present price wholesale material on 1 1/2 ton roughly $2000.00
mark up 50% =$3000.00 two people half day $ 1000.00
well it looks like in bracket of $4,000.00
Sorry not cheap!

You're shopping in the wrong places. There are plenty of them right now on eBay
in the $500-$800 price range for 9,000 to 12,000 btu systems.

--
MacD