Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soldering in tight spaces

Hi,

In the followling picture, you are looking up at an overhead soffit
where I have to insert tees in the 1/2" copper lines running across
the picture.

http://freeboundaries.com/tight.jpg

Is it doable or is just too tight to undertake given all the
electrical wires, the heater lines and the gas line?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

It looks doable, but if it were me, I'd be using something as a heat shield
to protect the wood from starting a fire, or doing damage to the wiring.
Either use thin sheet metal of some sort, or possibly heavy duty aluminum
foil.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

In the followling picture, you are looking up at an overhead soffit
where I have to insert tees in the 1/2" copper lines running across
the picture.

http://freeboundaries.com/tight.jpg

Is it doable or is just too tight to undertake given all the
electrical wires, the heater lines and the gas line?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 3:38*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

In the followling picture, you are looking up at an overhead soffit
where I have to insert tees in the 1/2" copper lines running across
the picture.

http://freeboundaries.com/tight.jpg

Is it doable or is just too tight to undertake given all the
electrical wires, the heater lines and the gas line?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

----------------------------
It is outright dangerous to use a torche in this tight space (with
electric and gas so close), no matter the shield you use. The wood
gets very dry over the years and it doesn't take much heat to start a
fire. Please don't do it without the help of a professional.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What you want is called a soldering blanket or a flame arrester. It
has two brass grommet in it so you tack it in place in front of the
wood. In the old days it was made out of asbestos. Today it's made out
of the kind of stuff they use on the space shuttle. You'll find it at
Home Depot near the solder in the plumbing department. Cost is about
$15.

I've done soldering in even tighter spots. But then, I have a few of
those blankets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick-Meister wrote:
What you want is called a soldering blanket or a flame arrester. It
has two brass grommet in it so you tack it in place in front of the
wood. In the old days it was made out of asbestos. Today it's made out
of the kind of stuff they use on the space shuttle. You'll find it at
Home Depot near the solder in the plumbing department. Cost is about
$15.

I've done soldering in even tighter spots. But then, I have a few of
those blankets.

Those blankets are great. With a couple of them, maybe slit in strategic
spots, along with some wood for backers, you could basically build a
shield around everything in your way.

Here's a link to what we're talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/4h9m49

BTW - someone else mentioned compression fittings. Here's what I was
told about compression fittings a long time ago:

Learn to sweat. When you sweat a fitting, it'll either leak immediately
or never at all. When you use a compression fitting it could leak at
any time - a day, a week, a year or a lifetime from now. Sweat it and
forget it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another vote for using a soldering blanket. Any home center or decent
sized hardware store should have them. Have a fire extinguisher
handy, just in case.

Also another vote against compression fittings.

Regards,
John.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

In the followling picture, you are looking up at an overhead soffit
where I have to insert tees in the 1/2" copper lines running across
the picture.

http://freeboundaries.com/tight.jpg

Is it doable or is just too tight to undertake given all the
electrical wires, the heater lines and the gas line?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

For a plumber that does that kind of work every day, it is just another job.
He'd put a shield behind the tubing, such as a piece of drywall. If you are
not sure of yourself, it may be safer to call a pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't come in on this thread early, but I'll give this advice on 34 years
of welding:

Make a heat shield out of thin metal that you can put behind the pipe. You
will make different U shaped cuts out of it to facilitate putting this
behind pipes. ALWAYS, REPEAT ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher or hose at the
ready, as big fires grow from small ones.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have a spritzer bottle of water handy, with water and a drop of dish soap.
Spray the wood to get it wet before soldering. Have fire extinguisher with
in reach.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

In the followling picture, you are looking up at an overhead soffit
where I have to insert tees in the 1/2" copper lines running across
the picture.

http://freeboundaries.com/tight.jpg

Is it doable or is just too tight to undertake given all the
electrical wires, the heater lines and the gas line?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

Professional fire fighter?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
It is outright dangerous to use a torche in this tight space (with
electric and gas so close), no matter the shield you use. The wood
gets very dry over the years and it doesn't take much heat to start a
fire. Please don't do it without the help of a professional.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Rick-Meister" wrote in message
What you want is called a soldering blanket or a flame arrester. It
has two brass grommet in it so you tack it in place in front of the
wood. In the old days it was made out of asbestos. Today it's made out
of the kind of stuff they use on the space shuttle. You'll find it at
Home Depot near the solder in the plumbing department. Cost is about
$15.

I've done soldering in even tighter spots. But then, I have a few of
those blankets.

That is the way. The electric wires are easily subject to damage, protect
them with the soldering blanket backed by some sheet metal. Do not to let
the hot metal touch the wires. The gas lines should be OK, the utility
actually welds taps onto live steel lines, if there is no oxygen the gas
cannot burn. Wet the wood and keep it wet, keep water on hand and an
extinguisher. Prefab as much as possible so that the soldering is minimized
and only at easily accessible and protected locations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 11:28*am, "Old and Grunpy" wrote:
NO no You all wrong You must have bottle of 100 proof Wild Turkey
on hand if fire starts you pure on it that will do the job
Tony

"Rick-Meister" wrote in message

What you want is called a soldering blanket or a flame arrester. It
has two brass grommet in it so you tack it in place in front of the
wood. In the old days it was made out of asbestos. Today it's made out
of the kind of stuff they use on the space shuttle. You'll find it at
Home Depot near the solder in the plumbing department. Cost is about
$15.

I've done soldering in even tighter spots. But then, I have a few of
those blankets.- Hide quoted text -

You must have bottle of 100 proof Wild Turkey on hand if fire
starts you pure on it

Correction: You must have bottle of 100 proof Wild Turkey on hand. If
fire starts you pour *it in* (you).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

In the followling picture, you are looking up at an overhead soffit
where I have to insert tees in the 1/2" copper lines running across
the picture.

http://freeboundaries.com/tight.jpg

Is it doable or is just too tight to undertake given all the
electrical wires, the heater lines and the gas line?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

use a heat shield. Lowes and HomeDepot have heat shield material for $15.
If you use something metal it will just transfer the heat to whatever it
touches. So be careful about how you use metal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Have a spritzer bottle of water handy, with water and a drop of dish soap.

Why the drop of dish soap? You mean water *mixed with* a drop of soap?

(Of course that's what you mean).

Anyway, what does the soap do?

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since you are telling me what I meant, you can tell me what the soap is for.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus