Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen stove (oven) runs hot

OK, I'm not smart on home repair........ My oven in the kitchen stove runs
around 200 degrees hotter than the knob setting. Would the most likely
culprit be the oven sensor -- the 2-3 foot wire thermocouple? in the oven --
or could it be something else more likely? If so, is this easy to replace,
to find in a Home Depot, etc? Please help. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lonestar" wrote in message
OK, I'm not smart on home repair........ My oven in the kitchen stove
runs
around 200 degrees hotter than the knob setting. Would the most likely
culprit be the oven sensor -- the 2-3 foot wire thermocouple? in the
oven --
or could it be something else more likely? If so, is this easy to
replace,
to find in a Home Depot, etc? Please help. Thanks.

If it's consistent and always reads 200 higher than the setting at all
temps, just under-set your dialed cooking temp by 200-- or paint a little
mark a half inch to the left of the one the oven maker put on there....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lonestar wrote:

OK, I'm not smart on home repair........ My oven in the kitchen
stove runs around 200 degrees hotter than the knob setting. Would
the most likely culprit be the oven sensor -- the 2-3 foot wire
thermocouple? in the oven -- or could it be something else more
likely? If so, is this easy to replace, to find in a Home Depot,
etc? Please help. Thanks.

The most likely culprit would be the knob.

Remove the knob, and look at the back. You'll find an adjustment there
so it matches the actual temperature.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lonestar" wrote in message
OK, I'm not smart on home repair........ My oven in the kitchen stove
runs
around 200 degrees hotter than the knob setting. Would the most likely
culprit be the oven sensor -- the 2-3 foot wire thermocouple? in the
oven --
or could it be something else more likely? If so, is this easy to
replace,
to find in a Home Depot, etc? Please help. Thanks.

Wow, that is much more than normal. The manual may give instructions on how
to change the calibration of the knob.

When it comes to appliance repair, avoid Home Depot and the like. You may
find the right help at www.applianceaid.com or www.repairclinic.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I had a similar problem with my oven. I use propane and the oven was
set for natural gas. The 'switch" for this was behind the temperature
control knob. When I changed it the oven worked properly.

Thanks for the info, Mike, but mine is strictly electric. I hope someone
can guide me!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Lonestar wrote:
OK, I'm not smart on home repair........ My oven in the kitchen stove runs
around 200 degrees hotter than the knob setting. Would the most likely
culprit be the oven sensor -- the 2-3 foot wire thermocouple? in the oven --
or could it be something else more likely? If so, is this easy to replace,
to find in a Home Depot, etc? Please help. Thanks.

Is this new symptom and different than before?
New or old range? (If new, it's defective and dealer should fix w/o charge).
What brand/model?

I only know GE of pretty ancient (mid-80's) design. They do have an
minor adjustment on the back of the knob that has a toothed ring that
moves the face of the knob relative to the fixed position on the shaft.

Each tooth is approximately 10F change but there aren't 20 teeth to get
anything close to 200F difference iirc (I can't think when I last had
one off to look at).

I would presume most other brands are roughly equivalent.

I'd also wonder how you're making this determination--are you sure your
reference is correct?

If it is off by this much, it's almost certainly the
thermocouple/thermostat is defective and should be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I do not know what type of Owen you have and if you tell us
it would be hard to say what you need, however many years ago
as much I know they did not have switch over but the way change
was made, it was by changing mixture propane requires much more
of air mixture then natural gas. there was two types one where you
would adjust air intake and the other where the nozzle it self was
adjustable
some time one adjustment was enough and some needed both adjustment
regardless which you adjust you are looking for moderate blue flame
tony

"Lonestar" wrote in message

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I had a similar problem with my oven. I use propane and the oven was
set for natural gas. The 'switch" for this was behind the temperature
control knob. When I changed it the oven worked properly.

Thanks for the info, Mike, but mine is strictly electric. I hope someone
can guide me!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

"Lonestar" wrote in message

Thanks for the info, Mike, but mine is strictly electric. ...

She did if you would have read the message...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Lonestar wrote:
... electric. I hope someone can guide me!!

See other response in thread. In short, if it's really that far off
likely need thermostat replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, dpb, for the reply. I don't think my problem is with the "back of
the knob" adjustment so it must be with the thermocouple. And bear with
me........... FYI, I make my reference temp reading with a stable oven
thermometer inside this old electric stove.

Now....... what exactly is the thermocouple/thermostat? Is it the 2-3 foot
wire/sensor in the oven area which eventually connects to the oven knob that
I should probably replace? Is this easy to do?

Again, as you can see, I'm not very smart in this arena, and I appreciate
anything you can throw at me.

EW