Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lamp far from socket plug

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Senin" wrote in message
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

MIT is working on it right now. If you have enough patience, it may be
available during your lifetime

Posted to alt.home.repair

Senin wrote:
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

Sure, the boys at my alma mater can show you how to do it:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061115-8229.htm

If you can't wait, then get a battery powered lamp. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Senin wrote:

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

Sure, the boys at my alma mater can show you how to do it:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061115-8229.htm

or, if that link doesn't work, try:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4220889.html

If you can't wait, then get a battery powered lamp. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Senin" wrote in message
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

MIT is working on it right now. If you have enough patience, it may be
available during your lifetime

I think that Intel recently announced some breakthrough with wireless
electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:45:14 -0700 (PDT), Senin
wrote:

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

No

You could consider a lamp that has a chain you mount to the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"Senin" wrote in message
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

MIT is working on it right now. If you have enough patience, it may be
available during your lifetime

I think that Intel recently announced some breakthrough with wireless
electricity.

If they get good at it to quickly, we're done... and what about all those
folks with the tin foil hats for emf protection, they're done too

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 01:45:14p, Senin told us...

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

No. There is no such thing as "remote wiring", at least not for standard
house current. Why would you think so?

If you have a basement or crawl space under your living room, your best and
safest solutiion is to install a floor socket that is specifically made for
this type of situation.

One of the homes we built was on concrete slab. Since installing these
after the fact would not have been easy, we pre-planned several locations
where floor outlets were installed. We were never sorry we did it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 5hrs 56mins
Let's win this one and go home. -
George A. Custer
Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

"Senin" wrote in message
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

What's under the floor? If you have a basement with an open ceiling under
there, just drill a small hole (it won't show in the carpet), cut off the
plug end of the cord and then thread the lamp cord down through the hole.
In the basement install a new plug on the end of the cord and plug it into
an outlet - preferably one with GFCI protection.

There's no easy or inexpensive way to transmit power wirelessly and
battery-operated lamps would be a nuisance since you would likely have to
recharge their batteries every day if you wanted a lamp with enough light
output to light up the table/chair area.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Senin" wrote in message
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

Yes, you need a Tesla adapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TKM wrote:
"Senin" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, and if that lamp cord frays and sets the carpet on fire, insurance
company will laugh, since running zip cord through structure like that
is not up to code. IOW, not a good idea. If you are putting a hole in
the floor anyway, just cut a hole for a regular code-rated floor outlet,
properly wired up in basement ceiling. Or to stay with the simple hole
idea, use a surface-mount floor box. (Basically looks like a fancy
outdoor-rated surface box.) It'll be a bit of a toe-stubber under the
table, but could easily be reversed after OP or next owner changes the
layout. Plug the hole in the floor with a dowel, and sew the slit in the
carpet shut.

A previous poster had it right- traditional way to handle this would be
a retro hanging lamp, with decorative hooks in ceiling trailing the cord
over to a wall outlet, and an inline switch at a reachable height if no
switched outlet was available. Wind the cord through the biggest
gaudiest chain you can find, and make it an in-your-face decor
statement. Hell, they used to hang chandeliers on hemp ropes, from
pulleys. Or maybe surface-mount a yuppie track light on the ceiling, and
wiremold the power up to it.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Senin" wrote in message
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

MIT is working on it right now. If you have enough patience, it may be
available during your lifetime

I think that Intel recently announced some breakthrough with wireless
electricity.

If they get good at it to quickly, we're done... and what about all those
folks with the tin foil hats for emf protection, they're done too

I figure that I'll go into the business of selling cancer treatments. With
all of that energy floating around the room, it's bound to have some bad
side effects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:45:14 -0700 (PDT), Senin wrote:

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

I know some of the people here will scream, but if is not a heavy traffic
area, get a fish tape and run this under your carpet. I have done it and it
works fine:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2273178
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2008 8:20 AM Kuskokwim spake thus:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:45:14 -0700 (PDT), Senin wrote:

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

I know some of the people here will scream, but if is not a heavy traffic
area, get a fish tape and run this under your carpet. I have done it and it
works fine:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2273178

I'm not going to scream, only say "don't do it".

I have no doubt that this has worked fine for you, but think about it:
do you *really* want to put a run of cable made for
speakers--*speakers*--under your carpet and run 120 volt power through it?

I wouldn't.

At the very least, if there was a fire, god forbid, on account of this
cable, and the fire inspector discovered it as the ignition source, I
think your insurance company wouldn't be very happy about that.

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 9:54*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

* Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the

- Paulo Freire

Ok, thanks for the responses. Looks like I learned one thing out of
this. There is no way to do this. Saves me time and effort looking
through the internet.

By the way, concrete is under the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Senin" wrote in message
[...]

---

of course there's a way. you can have a trench put in your concrete slab and
a floor socket installed. you then have to fix the concrete. you may not
like to do so, or want to pay to have it done, but it's possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:25:33 -0700 (PDT), Senin
wrote:

[...]

Google "flat extension cord"

It's a wire running over your carpet, but if you really need a lamp...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 4:45*pm, Senin wrote:
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. *I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). *Is there *a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

1 - Buy one of these: http://www.global-b2b-network.com/di...nsion_Cord.jpg

2 - Plug it in to the nearest receptacle and leave it there for about
10 minutes.

3 - Quickly - very quickly - unplug the plug from the receptacle and
plug it into one of the sockets at the other end of the cord. This
will trap the electricity inside the cord, creating kind of a "current
loop".

4 - Take the cord over to the lamp and plug your lamp into one of the
unused sockets. This should power your lamp for a while, although you
may have to recharge the cord every now and then.

Note: If this doesn't work, it's probably because you weren't quick
enough when performing Step 3. Keep trying until you get it right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Senin" wrote in message
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

Check with a restaurant supply company. They have some battery powered table
lamps that have output equal to about a 100w lamp. Not cheap!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Senin" wrote in message
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

MIT is working on it right now. If you have enough patience, it may be
available during your lifetime

I think that Intel recently announced some breakthrough with wireless
electricity.

If they get good at it to quickly, we're done... and what about all those
folks with the tin foil hats for emf protection, they're done too

I figure that I'll go into the business of selling cancer treatments.
With all of that energy floating around the room, it's bound to have some
bad side effects.

Even if not, we can exploit the notion

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:20:20 -0700, Kuskokwim wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:45:14 -0700 (PDT), Senin wrote:

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

I know some of the people here will scream, but if is not a heavy traffic
area, get a fish tape and run this under your carpet. I have done it and it
works fine:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2273178

It'd be better to leave the wires exposed (and put then on the ceiling
if you can). Then you can actually see damage and replace wire when
necessary.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kuskokwim wrote in
:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:45:14 -0700 (PDT), Senin wrote:

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to
put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the
carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet
either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

I know some of the people here will scream, but if is not a heavy
traffic area, get a fish tape and run this under your carpet. I have
done it and it works fine:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2273178

For anyone who finds this a possible option for household power,
consider:

No ground.
Insulation nicks/wears on hot side.
Still works fine with no indication.
Someone spills liquid, and possibly in contact with spilled liquid.
Now there's a ground.

- or -

Carpet cleaner liquid.
Now there's a ground.
Operator looks like they're doing YMCA song thing.

Plug & Socket HOT - Why? HeyBub Home Repair 1 December 23rd 05 07:24 PM
Plug & Socket HOT - Why? [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 23rd 05 03:04 PM
Lamp Socket Question Mud Home Repair 9 November 25th 05 04:16 AM
Fix for halogen lamp socket? Zak Electronics Repair 21 May 1st 05 05:11 PM
Lamp socket repair Matt Zack Home Repair 4 February 2nd 05 12:20 AM