Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When is a Beam Too Long?

Engineers and/or Construction
Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. The
beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen
and the nook area. Remodeling was completed a few years ago. I have
had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to
know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 2:19*pm, trax wrote:
Engineers and/or Construction
Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. *The
beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen
and the nook area. *Remodeling was completed a few years ago. *I have
had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to
know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed.
Thanks

Based on the available information I can offer a positively
MAYBE.

We know nothing about the distance, or the load or how even the
load may be what supports their may be... There is no way to tell
safely long distance. You really need a structural engineer on site.
While you may give him all the information you think is important,
unless he can actually see the situation, he can only guess about what
you don't see or that your don't consider important.

My advice, hire the professional.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:19:41 -0700 (PDT), trax
wrote:

Engineers and/or Construction
Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. The
beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen
and the nook area. Remodeling was completed a few years ago. I have
had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to
know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed.
Thanks

What was the response from the permit/building code office? The beam I
used here for the patio cover was to long, so I cut it to 22'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trax wrote:
Engineers and/or Construction
Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. The
beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen
and the nook area. Remodeling was completed a few years ago. I have
had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to
know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed.

Well, if the beam's been in place for "a few years" and nothing has
collapsed, I'd venture the guess that it's not TOO long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 11:19*am, trax wrote:
Engineers and/or Construction
Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. *The
beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen
and the nook area. *Remodeling was completed a few years ago. *I have
had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to
know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed.
Thanks

Are you noticing any excessive deflection? Any distress in the
finishes?

Whether or not the beam is sized correctly depends on the required
loads & the beam geometry & material.

When you say the beam is 15" wide...do you mean 15" deep?

Properly designed a 15" deep will support a substantial load but 22'
is a quite a span.

You need to hire a professional.

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 6:37*pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Aug 30, 11:19*am, trax wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your responses. The beam is 20 feet long x 15 x 5. It
is a big stick. It is not a load bearing wall.
Thanks again,

Where's the beam? [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 27th 06 02:42 AM
i beam size [email protected] Metalworking 28 April 5th 06 01:18 AM
Beam math William Pounds Home Repair 6 September 7th 04 10:46 AM
Beam Captin Kirk Electronics Repair 3 May 13th 04 01:42 PM
Help with beam design [email protected] Metalworking 16 January 26th 04 04:18 PM