Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default When is a Beam Too Long?

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:19:41 -0700 (PDT), trax
wrote:

Engineers and/or Construction
Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. The
beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen
and the nook area. Remodeling was completed a few years ago. I have
had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to
know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed.
Thanks

What was the response from the permit/building code office? The beam I
used here for the patio cover was to long, so I cut it to 22'.