Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default When is a Beam Too Long?

On Aug 30, 11:19*am, trax wrote:
Engineers and/or Construction
Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. *The
beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen
and the nook area. *Remodeling was completed a few years ago. *I have
had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to
know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed.
Thanks

Are you noticing any excessive deflection? Any distress in the
finishes?

Whether or not the beam is sized correctly depends on the required
loads & the beam geometry & material.

When you say the beam is 15" wide...do you mean 15" deep?

Properly designed a 15" deep will support a substantial load but 22'
is a quite a span.

You need to hire a professional.

Cheers
Bob