Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default When is a Beam Too Long?

On Aug 30, 2:19*pm, trax wrote:
Engineers and/or Construction
Can anyone tell me what is too long for a beam across two room. *The
beam is approximately 1 foot 3 inch wide and spans between the kitchen
and the nook area. *Remodeling was completed a few years ago. *I have
had several different responses concerning this issue and wanted to
know if it would be advisable to have a 4x4 post installed.
Thanks

Based on the available information I can offer a positively
MAYBE.

We know nothing about the distance, or the load or how even the
load may be what supports their may be... There is no way to tell
safely long distance. You really need a structural engineer on site.
While you may give him all the information you think is important,
unless he can actually see the situation, he can only guess about what
you don't see or that your don't consider important.

My advice, hire the professional.