Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $$ Question for Home Improvemet(s)

Hello all,

I am thinking about applying for a home equity line of credit to make
some upgrades and improvements to my home.

If anyone has done this could you please explain how this type of loan
works in comparison to a 2nd mortage or a refinance.

I appreciate any information given.
Thanks for your time.

V_V

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"dpb" wrote
wrote:

There is no substantive difference between an equity loand and a second
mortgage. Theoretically the amount of a equity loan is backed fully by

snip

Refinancing is simply replacing an existing mortgage w/ a new one,
hopefully w/ better terms than the original owing to lower market
interest rates at the time of refinancing vis a vis original, better
personal financial situation or somesuch. Origination fees may eat up
much of the perceived gain, however, unless one is careful in evaluating
the whole picture.

Correct and one added bit on refinancing. You have to still 'owe enough'
for it to be worth their time generally. I did some preliminary checks on
this and most do not want to refinance only what I owe (a little under 40K
now) for a lower rate than I have. Oh some nibbled at a slight reduction
'for now' but wanted lots of money up front and were 'variable rate' vice
my fixed. My rate isnt 'great' (7.50) but it is fixed for life. Variable
rate offers came in at 6.75 and 7.00. No thanks. Had I done that, I'd be
trapped now with the higher prices I bet.

Holt crap! I refinanced less than $25k 2 years ago for 4.25%. I still went
with a credit card last year for a"loan" of $28k since I could get that at
3.99% instead of 4.25%. Why are you paying nearly twice that? Mine is fixed
also. I'm in upstate NY, with the highest taxes/assessments in the nation,
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

Holt crap! I refinanced less than $25k 2 years ago for 4.25%. I still went
with a credit card last year for a"loan" of $28k since I could get that at
3.99% instead of 4.25%. Why are you paying nearly twice that? Mine is
fixed also. I'm in upstate NY, with the highest taxes/assessments in the
nation, too.

Probably a matter of timing involved. This is in last 6 months. Possibly
didnt find the right folks either?

Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

On Aug 27, 8:02*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"h" wrote

"cshenk" wrote in message
Holt crap! I refinanced less than $25k 2 years ago for 4.25%. I still went
with a credit card last year for a"loan" of $28k since I could get that at
3.99% instead of 4.25%. Why are you paying nearly twice that? Mine is
fixed also. I'm in upstate NY, with the highest taxes/assessments in the
nation, too.

Probably a matter of timing involved. *This is in last 6 months. *Possibly
didnt find the right folks either?

We did a similar thing this year. Our mortgage was due for renewal,
and as we renewed we chose to get some cash to replace all of our
windows (17 of them). I think (hope!) this was a sensible decision in
our case; while we only bought our home five years ago, our house is
our only debt. And I'm hopeful that the windows will help with the oil
bill at least a bit this year. Oil here was $1.24 a litre at the end
of the heating season last year (although we were locked in at .87).
Hate to think of what it will be this year.

Plus, our province has a home energy audit program where you pay a fee
for a before and after energy audit. Depending on which of their
recommendations you follow up on to improve energy efficiency, you get
rebates for various amounts. Windows generally get you $30 per unit
from the province, and another $30 from the federal government. $60 a
window x 17 windows helps a bit.

We went from the safety of a fixed rate at 4.69% to a variable rate
this time around. It's a certain percentage below prime for a certain
period, then goes up a bit from that. We pay the same amount each
month, but depending on the current rate, pay more or less toward the
principal. We've increased our bi-weekly payment too, so hopefully the
amount we borrowed will go away sooner rather than later.

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"h" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

Holt crap! I refinanced less than $25k 2 years ago for 4.25%. I still
went with a credit card last year for a"loan" of $28k since I could get
that at 3.99% instead of 4.25%. Why are you paying nearly twice that?
Mine is fixed also. I'm in upstate NY, with the highest taxes/assessments
in the nation, too.

Probably a matter of timing involved. This is in last 6 months. Possibly
didnt find the right folks either?

I just re-fied with my tiny little local bank where I got the original
mortgage 23 years ago. Their rates are MUCH better than the big banks, but
they also have much more stringent guidelines and require a credit score of
at least 775.

HOme question Enkidu Home Repair 15 May 27th 06 02:51 AM
HOme question JerryL Home Repair 11 May 15th 06 03:35 AM
HOme question Brian E. Clark Home Repair 1 May 14th 06 06:46 AM
HOme question Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 0 May 14th 06 02:16 AM
HOme question Mark K. Bilbo Home Repair 0 May 14th 06 02:04 AM