Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stainless steel spec

Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a good
number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 24 Aug 2008 09:54:47p, Paul MR told us...

Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a good
number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

Both 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel are good quality and have a high
resistance to corrosion and staining. 18/10 stainless steel has a higher
percentage of nickel which one might notice as a slightly richer color. IMO,
both perform well, and I doubt that one really outperforms the other.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1wks 25mins
Mars needs women.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2008 11:37 PM Wayne Boatwright spake thus:

On Sun 24 Aug 2008 09:54:47p, Paul MR told us...

Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a
good number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other
steel?

Both 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel are good quality and have a high
resistance to corrosion and staining. 18/10 stainless steel has a
higher percentage of nickel which one might notice as a slightly
richer color. IMO, both perform well, and I doubt that one really
outperforms the other.

The 18 refers to the percentage of chromium and the other number the
percentage of nickel. They're equally corrosion-resistant (the chromium
is what gives it its resistance). The amount of nickel mainly affects
the working properties of the metal (and also its appearance as noted
above).

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sun 24 Aug 2008 09:54:47p, Paul MR told us...

Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a good
number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

Both 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel are good quality and have a high
resistance to corrosion and staining. 18/10 stainless steel has a
higher percentage of nickel which one might notice as a slightly
richer color. IMO, both perform well, and I doubt that one really
outperforms the other.

I absolutely agree with you, Wayne.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul MR" wrote in message
Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing about
the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a good number?
Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

18/8 and 18/10 are common for kitchen use. What is more important is the
construction, the thickness, the depth of the sink. If you look up Franke
they are one of the best but also one of the most expensive.Just don't get
the cheap Home Depot special on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 01:12:10a, Dave Bugg told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sun 24 Aug 2008 09:54:47p, Paul MR told us...

Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a good
number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

Both 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel are good quality and have a high
resistance to corrosion and staining. 18/10 stainless steel has a
higher percentage of nickel which one might notice as a slightly
richer color. IMO, both perform well, and I doubt that one really
outperforms the other.

I absolutely agree with you, Wayne.

Thanks, Dave.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
6dys 18hrs 56mins
The meek will inherit the earth; the
rest of us will go to the stars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 11:54*pm, Paul MR wrote:
Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. *I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." *Is this a good
number? *Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

Stainless shows fingerprints, someone I know with a complete kitchen
hates having to everyday wipe down doors from handprints
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I did my kitchen I bought a Blanco "D" shaped SS 10" deep sink at
Home Expo ( design center for Home Depot). It was pricey ( I think
$450) but it is well constructed. I can't remember the specs offhand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 12:54*am, Paul MR wrote:
Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. *I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." *Is this a good
number? *Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

I would be more concerned about the depth of the sink (generally
deeper is better) and its thickness. Heavier will be better. It will
be quieter. Also consider a sound reduction coating. It goes on the
outside and many sinks come with it. It looks like and works much
like an automobile undercoating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message

18/8 and 18/10 are common for kitchen use. What is more important is the
construction, the thickness, the depth of the sink. If you look up
Franke
they are one of the best but also one of the most expensive.Just don't
get
the cheap Home Depot special on sale.

Why, what's the percentage on it? Is it 18/8 or 18/10 or something else?
I like el-cheapo sale products. Just bought a nice sink and vanity for
$49.00

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Franke is 18/10.
http://www.frankeksd.com/sinks.php?cat=1&node=10
It is not just the percentages, it is the gauge, the methods of
construction, the finish. It is the difference in how they hold up over the
years too.

But for both sink and vanity for $49, you did well. Enjoy it. I hope they
gave you a free faucet too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 06:26:22a, Mikepier told us...

When I did my kitchen I bought a Blanco "D" shaped SS 10" deep sink at
Home Expo ( design center for Home Depot). It was pricey ( I think
$450) but it is well constructed. I can't remember the specs offhand.

Most Blanco sinks are 18/10 stainless steel, except for the "economy" line
which is 18/8. All are of good quality.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
6dys 15hrs 56mins
When I was a kid, I was an imaginary
playmate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 06:36:37a, told us...

On Aug 25, 12:54*am, Paul MR wrote:
Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. *I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." *Is this a good
number? *Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

I would be more concerned about the depth of the sink (generally
deeper is better) and its thickness. Heavier will be better. It will
be quieter. Also consider a sound reduction coating. It goes on the
outside and many sinks come with it. It looks like and works much
like an automobile undercoating.

Yes, as long as the composition is either 18/8 or 18/10 there's no problem
with the quality of the steel. 16 or 18 guage should be adequate for most
sinks. Better ones do have a sound reduction coating, but not always. If
you find a sink you like without the coating, you can apply a coating
yourself.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
6dys 15hrs 55mins
Oxymoron: Southern Front.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 9:54*pm, Paul MR wrote:
Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. *I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." *Is this a good
number? *Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

for that application its all samo samo...for industrial process
applications alloy composition is critical.
but for sinks they will all be pretty much the same... cheapest, non
staining alloy.

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul MR wrote:
Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a good
number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

Thanks to all who responded.
Paul MR
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

.....Just don't get the cheap Home Depot special on sale.

But some folks might appreciate that steel-drum island sound.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blattus Slafaly wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Paul MR" wrote in message
Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know
nothing about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is
this a good number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than
other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

18/8 and 18/10 are common for kitchen use. What is more important
is the construction, the thickness, the depth of the sink. If you
look up Franke they are one of the best but also one of the most
expensive.Just don't get the cheap Home Depot special on sale.

Why, what's the percentage on it? Is it 18/8 or 18/10 or something
else? I like el-cheapo sale products. Just bought a nice sink and
vanity for $49.00

In this case it's more the guage, or thickness, of the steel, not the
content. A lot of cheap SS sinks will be 22 guage, or even thinner. You want
18 to 20 guage which also has a nice sound deadening applied.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 24, 11:54*pm, Paul MR wrote:
Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. *I know nothing
about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." *Is this a good
number? *Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel?
Thanks,
Paul MR

Ignore the alloy. Buy the heaviest gage you can find. Kohler is
exceptionally good in that respect (at a price). Cheaper sinks allow
the faucet set to wobble on the base when installed because the metal
isn't stiff enough. HTH

Jpe,