Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI question

wrote:

The fan is wired to a switch through the wall. I can't plug it in
somewhere else. I'm betting you're correct about the GFI. I'll
replace it tomorrow.

On 2008-08-23, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Replace it with a standard outlet and the problem will go away.

No, replace it with a standard outlet and you'll be hiding the
problem. The problem will still be there, and if it becomes worse,
could become dangerous.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-08-23, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Replace it with a standard outlet and the problem will go away.

No, replace it with a standard outlet and you'll be hiding the
problem. *The problem will still be there, and if it becomes worse,
could become dangerous.

Cheers, Wayne

Agreed. The OP is being wise IMO. While one sees GFCIs not recommended
for other circuits that supply motors; fridges etc. the fact that it
worked OK for many years and now doesn't seems to indicate the OP is
doing the right thing to question and check.

On 2008-08-23, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Replace it with a standard outlet and the problem will go away.

No, replace it with a standard outlet and you'll be hiding the
problem. *The problem will still be there, and if it becomes worse,
could become dangerous.

Cheers, Wayne

Agreed. The OP is being wise IMO. While one sees GFCIs not recommended
for other circuits that supply motors; fridges etc. the fact that it
worked OK for many years and now doesn't seems to indicate the OP is
doing the right thing to question and check.

Thanks for everybody's input.

I replaced the GFI today and still have the same problem. I'll try
cleaning the motor (with compressed air!) and see if that works. TS
Fay has dropped a foot of rain around here the last four days, and
though the wires and motor are protected, maybe there's dampness I
can't see.

I'll let you know if it works.

unklerichie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:07:33 -0700 (PDT), unklerichie
wrote:

Thanks for everybody's input.

I replaced the GFI today and still have the same problem. I'll try
cleaning the motor (with compressed air!) and see if that works. TS
Fay has dropped a foot of rain around here the last four days, and
though the wires and motor are protected, maybe there's dampness I
can't see.

I'm about the furthest thing from an expert, but for clarification,
the fan is on the same circuit as the GFI's, but not plugged into the
GFI, right? Are there other loads running on the GFIs when they trip?

40" fan is pretty big, it could just have a big, fat turn-on surge,
but how long as this been going on? And is the fan plug two or three
prong (presume three). And have you checked the ground to the fan
outlet?

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is odd that the GFI trip 10 seconds after the fan is on. Perhaps it has
become unbalanced, and when it is up to speed it vibrates so much something
gets shorted?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 8:43*am, "john" wrote:
It is odd that the GFI trip 10 seconds after the fan is on. Perhaps it has
become unbalanced, and when it is up to speed it vibrates so much something
gets shorted?

To answer a couple of your questions...
My fan has no plug on it. It's wired from a wall switch. I have
other things running on the same circuit (a few outlets and an 8'
fluorescent shop light). My fan trips the GFI whether there are
additional loads on the circuit or not. It doesn't seem to make a
difference. I used my compressed air to blow out the motor and it
didn't help. When I first posted, I mentioned that the fan would run
for ten seconds and then trip the GFI. The 'ten seconds' only
happened the first couple of times I tried it. Since then, it trips
immediately. I think I've successfully ruled out the GFI (replaced),
the wall switch (replaced), and the wiring from the GFI to the switch
to the fan (all closely inspected). I suppose it's time to have the
motor serviced. If anyone is interested, I'll post the outcome later.

Thanks for everyone's help.

unklerichie

On 2008-08-23, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Replace it with a standard outlet and the problem will go away.

No, replace it with a standard outlet and you'll be hiding the
problem. *The problem will still be there, and if it becomes worse,
could become dangerous.

Cheers, Wayne

Agreed. The OP is being wise IMO. While one sees GFCIs not recommended
for other circuits that supply motors; fridges etc. the fact that it

I thought it was only fridges and freezers, because when they lose
power the food rots, and maybe some other situations like that, but
not motors in general.

On 2008-08-23, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Replace it with a standard outlet and the problem will go away.

No, replace it with a standard outlet and you'll be hiding the
problem. *The problem will still be there, and if it becomes worse,
could become dangerous.

Cheers, Wayne

Agreed. The OP is being wise IMO. While one sees GFCIs not recommended
for other circuits that supply motors; fridges etc. the fact that it

I thought it was only fridges and freezers, because when they lose
power the food rots, and maybe some other situations like that, but
not motors in general.

worked OK for many years and now doesn't seems to indicate the OP is
doing the right thing to question and check.

Hello everyone.

I removed the fan motor and tested it on the benchtop. It's
definitely bad. I replaced it with a 1/2 hp motor I had laying around
(original was 3/4 hp), same rpm's, but the 1/2 has a heck of a time
getting the fan moving. I don't know enough about motors to attempt
that repair myself.

So I decided that's enough of this project. Despite everybody's
assistance, I gave up, went on Grainger's site and ordered a new fan.
The new ones are so much more efficient (much more cfm's at lower
rpm's) , 2 speed, and the one I ordered includes a shutter, a luxury I
don't currently enjoy.

Thanks group!

unklerichie

GFCI question [email protected] Home Repair 12 August 25th 08 05:50 PM
GFCI question Wayne Whitney Home Repair 0 August 23rd 08 07:03 PM
Another GFCI Question [email protected] Home Repair 12 June 23rd 06 11:33 PM
GFCI Question? Dick Home Repair 9 December 3rd 05 03:27 PM
gfci question sligo Home Repair 4 July 2nd 05 04:37 AM