Posted to alt.home.repair
unklerichie unklerichie is offline

Default GFCI question

On Aug 23, 4:56*pm, terry wrote:
On Aug 23, 5:35*pm, Wayne Whitney wrote:

wrote:
The fan is wired to a switch through the wall. *I can't plug it in
somewhere else. *I'm betting you're correct about the GFI. *I'll
replace it tomorrow.

On 2008-08-23, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Replace it with a standard outlet and the problem will go away.

No, replace it with a standard outlet and you'll be hiding the
problem. *The problem will still be there, and if it becomes worse,
could become dangerous.

Cheers, Wayne

Agreed. The OP is being wise IMO. While one sees GFCIs not recommended
for other circuits that supply motors; fridges etc. the fact that it
worked OK for many years and now doesn't seems to indicate the OP is
doing the right thing to question and check.

Thanks for everybody's input.

I replaced the GFI today and still have the same problem. I'll try
cleaning the motor (with compressed air!) and see if that works. TS
Fay has dropped a foot of rain around here the last four days, and
though the wires and motor are protected, maybe there's dampness I
can't see.

I'll let you know if it works.

unklerichie