Posted to alt.home.repair

Default re-surface parts of garage floor

Parts of my garage concrete floor is pitting and looks like a lunar
landscape- very rough. I would like to put layer of cement over the
top, but is that the best method and how should I prepare it and then
make it smooth?

GA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 4:45�pm, George Abbot wrote:
Parts of my garage concrete floor is pitting and looks like a lunar
landscape- very rough. I would like to put layer of cement over the
top, but is that the best method and how should I prepare it and then
make it smooth?

GA

nothing you do will be permanent. at best its a short term fix.....

sakrete has that overlay stuff, let it cure and thompsons water seal
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 5:57�pm, Paul Oman wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 11, 4:45 pm, George Abbot wrote:
Parts of my garage concrete floor is pitting and looks like a lunar
landscape- very rough. I would like to put layer of cement over the
top, but is that the best method and how should I prepare it and then
make it smooth?

GA

concrete over concrete doesn't bond well. The professional fix is
epoxy mixed with lots of sand - sort of epoxy concrete.....

paul oman / progressive epoxy polymers

the trouble with every coating is expansion and contraction and
movement.

vehicles are heavy, the base under the slab is likely bad, nothing you
do to the top can fix that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 11, 4:27*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 11, 4:45 pm, George Abbot wrote:

Parts of my garage concrete floor is pitting and looks like a lunar
landscape- very rough. I would like to put layer of cement over the
top, but is that the best method and how should I prepare it and then
make it smooth?

GA

nothing you do will be permanent. at best its a short term fix.....

sakrete has that overlay stuff, let it cure and thompsons water seal
it.

Avoid Thompsons products like the plague. Their water seal has been
describes as a hydrocarbon solution of simple wax. Check Consumer
Reports and archives in this NG for many negative comments.
For a good floor repair, check out industrial coatings that factories
use, such as Sonneborn, others. Graingers, McMaster-Carr may be
sources for those. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 5:47�pm, Joe wrote:
On Aug 11, 4:27�pm, " wrote:

[...]

I have had great success with thompsons waterseal.

I had a detoriating porch slab that got patched every year.

one year i doused the repaired slab with thompsons, that ENDED the
detoriation. water couldnt get into the slab it beaded up, like a
newly waxed car,