Tim Bacon

Default Hardware Floor Surface Preparation

I would like to put hardwood flooring down in my kitchen. Wife wants sold
oak planks to match the other rooms. Seems straight forward enough but I am
not sure if I need to do something to the exisintg floor first before I put
the hardwood floor down. The floor is plywood with glued on vinyl tiles. I
put 1/4 plywood on top of the tiles and put new vinyl tiles down. Can I
just go overtop of the whole mess? Or do I need to pull it all up (This
would be very hard considering I screwed down the 1/4 inch plywood!)?
Thanks for any recommendations.

Joe Bobst

The floor is plywood with glued on vinyl tiles. I put 1/4 plywood on top
of the tiles and put new vinyl tiles down. Can I just go overtop of the whole
mess?

Since you don't work to a very high standard, go ahead and do it the easy way.
Don't expect the new floor to be very durable, though, since the substrate is
not very rigid. At least it should be very quiet. HTH

Joe

William Brown

Are you going to build stairs or a ramp to get up into the kitchen?

Seriously, you should get rid of all the old flooring and make sure you
have a very solid subflooring.

As to oak, I recall that when they built homes with wood flooring, they
used oak everywhere but in the bathrooms and kitchens. Bathrooms were
almost always tiled; kitchens were often wood, but it was some type
other than oak, and I can't remember what it was. I suspect oak
flooring did not stand up well to the type of spills that are common in
kitchens. Perhaps some of the newer finishes have overcome this
weakness. Personally, when I win the lottery and redo our kitchen, I am
going to try and talk my wife into cork flooring. We put it in our
bathroom and it has held up quite well.

Tim Bacon wrote:

I would like to put hardwood flooring down in my kitchen. Wife wants sold
oak planks to match the other rooms. Seems straight forward enough but I am
not sure if I need to do something to the exisintg floor first before I put
the hardwood floor down. The floor is plywood with glued on vinyl tiles. I
put 1/4 plywood on top of the tiles and put new vinyl tiles down. Can I
just go overtop of the whole mess? Or do I need to pull it all up (This
would be very hard considering I screwed down the 1/4 inch plywood!)?
Thanks for any recommendations.

there.

A pat on th e back for WoodWorkers Hardware and UPS Leon Woodworking 0 October 28th 04 08:30 PM
Hardware gloat Backlash Metalworking 1 May 10th 04 04:14 PM
The Last Hardware Store In America Puff Griffis Woodworking 53 March 29th 04 05:23 PM