Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing Basement Ideas

I finished dry walling my basement and need some suggestions for a
access cover for a water shut off valve. Right now I just have a piece
of painted dry wall in a frame made from casing. Im looking for other
options.

Heres a pic of what it look like:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...v331/photo.jpg

Thanks
John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:14:43 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

I finished dry walling my basement and need some suggestions for a
access cover for a water shut off valve. Right now I just have a piece
of painted dry wall in a frame made from casing. Im looking for other
options.

Heres a pic of what it look like:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...v331/photo.jpg

Thanks
John

Big box stores sell plastic access panels in various sizes for exactly
this purpose. They consist of a frame with removable panel. Ask in
the plumbing department. You can paint them to match, and they blend
in a little better because they are nearly flush with surface.

On larger Openings, I've covered the drywall edges with drywall
J-channel, and used a piece of plywood as the panel, using the same
J-channel on the plywood panel. If you do a neat job cutting and
painting, it blends in pretty good. Of course you need a little
framing exposed to fasten the panel to.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 9:14�pm, John wrote:
I finished dry walling my basement and need some suggestions for a
access cover for a water shut off valve. Right now I just have a piece
of painted dry wall in a frame made from casing. Im looking for other
options.

Heres a pic of what it look like:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...v331/photo.jpg

Thanks
John

Opinions will vary, but for my part, I think that what you have is
good. When you try to blend something in, yet keep it accessible, I
think it tends to look worse than just acknowledging that it is
there. Once you have accessed the shutoff a few times, the tight fit
of whatever other solution may not be as tight. On the other hand, it
may be, so if someone has a truly invisible option, I'd like to see
it.

I have a couple suggestions. One is to put a picture inside the
"frame" you built. That may or may not work, depending on the
location of the shutoff. Maybe a few other pictures in the area to
camouflage it.

Another thought is to put cabinets in the area, withn the cutout in
the back of one of them. Depending on the framing, a recessed cabinet
between studs would be an option. Of course, all of this depends upon
cabinets or pictures looking reasonable in the area.