Chris

Default Finishing a basement

Co-Worker (same guy who asked for opinions on attic flooring the other day)
is looking for opinions on the best way to cover the cement walls in his
basement. Should he build out regular 2x4 stud walls, insulate and cover
or, use rigid insulation, ferring (spl?) strips, vapor barrier and cover?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Chris
Joe Esposito

On 25 Feb 2004 14:08:35 GMT, Chris wrote:

Co-Worker (same guy who asked for opinions on attic flooring the other day)
is looking for opinions on the best way to cover the cement walls in his
basement. Should he build out regular 2x4 stud walls, insulate and cover
or, use rigid insulation, ferring (spl?) strips, vapor barrier and cover?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

I was set to finish my basement with the Dow Styrofoam Wallmate Rigid
foam insulation and 2X3's for furring. I even bought the Rigid
insulation.

Unfortunately after talking to the local township inspector he said I
need a bottom and top fire barrier when using rigid foam insulation.

So I am now going to install 3/4" rigid foam to the walls and then
frame with 2X3". I haven't decided if I will use 2" rigid foam or
fiberglass to fill the framing. This is the latest buildingscience
theory.

Even if you local area permits the rigid/furring method, running
electrical becomes more difficult.

Joe E.