Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Finishing Basement Ideas

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:14:43 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

I finished dry walling my basement and need some suggestions for a
access cover for a water shut off valve. Right now I just have a piece
of painted dry wall in a frame made from casing. Im looking for other
options.

Heres a pic of what it look like:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...v331/photo.jpg

Thanks
John

Big box stores sell plastic access panels in various sizes for exactly
this purpose. They consist of a frame with removable panel. Ask in
the plumbing department. You can paint them to match, and they blend
in a little better because they are nearly flush with surface.

On larger Openings, I've covered the drywall edges with drywall
J-channel, and used a piece of plywood as the panel, using the same
J-channel on the plywood panel. If you do a neat job cutting and
painting, it blends in pretty good. Of course you need a little
framing exposed to fasten the panel to.

HTH,

Paul F.