Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing my broiler element?

I have a 20 year old General Electric double wall oven. A broiler element
caught on fire last night, with a bright arc to a support. After letting it
cool, it looks real rough. Presumably it has to be replaced?

I tried to remove it, but it is screwed to the feed wires; the screw is on
the top, so there is no access.

All I can think is that the wires pull out far enough to allow reasonable
access, but I hate to try that until someone tells me it is right.

So, how do I get access to the screw to detach the broiler element?

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/repl...-element.shtml

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jack wrote:
I have a 20 year old General Electric double wall oven. A broiler element
caught on fire last night, with a bright arc to a support. ...
All I can think is that the wires pull out far enough to allow reasonable
access, but I hate to try that until someone tells me it is right.

So, how do I get access to the screw to detach the broiler element?

If the thermostat capillary tube is in the way, it needs to be moved
(_very_ gently and don't bend or kink it -- in self-cleaning ovens it
contains a strong caustic and is recommended to only handle it while
wearing rubber gloves in case there's any leakage on the surface to
avoid caustic burn possibilities).

Once it's out of the way, remove the screws holding the element and
there're several inches of slack in the wires for expressly that purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
jack wrote:

I have a 20 year old General Electric double wall oven. A broiler
element caught on fire last night, with a bright arc to a support. ...
All I can think is that the wires pull out far enough to allow
reasonable access, but I hate to try that until someone tells me it is
right.

So, how do I get access to the screw to detach the broiler element?

If the thermostat capillary tube is in the way, it needs to be moved
(_very_ gently and don't bend or kink it -- in self-cleaning ovens it
contains a strong caustic and is recommended to only handle it while
wearing rubber gloves in case there's any leakage on the surface to
avoid caustic burn possibilities).

Once it's out of the way, remove the screws holding the element and
there're several inches of slack in the wires for expressly that purpose.

--

Oh, and without intention to insult your intelligence, make sure you cut
off all electrical power to the oven before beginning work.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)