Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it possible to shorten a broiler element from an oven?

Is the element a resistive wire covered with a durable insulator?

IOW Can you cut it down, strip back, and reconnect?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 8:36 am, BoyntonStu wrote:
Is the element a resistive wire covered with a durable insulator?

IOW Can you cut it down, strip back, and reconnect?

Usually once a risistance element has been used it is quite brittle,
that might prevent you from success.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BoyntonStu wrote:
Is the element a resistive wire covered with a durable insulator?

IOW Can you cut it down, strip back, and reconnect?

The heating element in an electric oven is indeed resistive wire but it
is buried in a heat-conducting electric-insulating mineral material and
buried inside the metal outer jacket. I believe that the heating wire is
welded to the terminals from what I've seen of broken elements.
Personally, I don't see any way that one could shorten the element and
have it work afterward, at least for any extended period. I certainly
wouldn't spend any of _my_ time and money trying.

But what is it you are trying to accomplish? Simply repairing an old or
odd oven broiler or are you trying to make something else?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 9:34 am, John McGaw wrote:
BoyntonStu wrote:
Is the element a resistive wire covered with a durable insulator?

IOW Can you cut it down, strip back, and reconnect?

The heating element in an electric oven is indeed resistive wire but it
is buried in a heat-conducting electric-insulating mineral material and
buried inside the metal outer jacket. I believe that the heating wire is
welded to the terminals from what I've seen of broken elements.
Personally, I don't see any way that one could shorten the element and
have it work afterward, at least for any extended period. I certainly
wouldn't spend any of _my_ time and money trying.

But what is it you are trying to accomplish? Simply repairing an old or
odd oven broiler or are you trying to make something else?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]http://johnmcgaw.com

I'm thinking of making something out of a new element that would give
me the infrared glow at 110 VAC.

Just wondering if any DIYer had tried it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:36:35 -0800, BoyntonStu wrote:

Is the element a resistive wire covered with a durable insulator?

IOW Can you cut it down, strip back, and reconnect?

Even if you could shorten the wire, you will change resistance and could
possibly burn out what's left.

Find a replacement part and settle on being happy with the results.