Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing a basement and want to paint walls BEFORE installing doorsand trim

I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. I was
planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting
doors and trim and installing them. I thought this would save time as
I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray
just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. What is the problem
with my approach?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. I was
planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting
doors and trim and installing them. I thought this would save time as
I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray
just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. What is the problem
with my approach?

I'd do it that way. Sure, you may have to do some touchup, but that is
better than masking everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing a basement and want to paint walls BEFORE installing...

unless the walls have a heavy texture, I'd advise against spraying, BTW,
how are you planning to caulk and putty jambs, casing, and base,
afterward or not at all? Most pros caulk, putty, prime, and paint trim
first. then tape the trim off and roll the walls. the secret to taping
is to let a small amount of wood show and caulk the crack, wiping the
caulk with finger or wet rag, paint walls, then let dry overnight and
pull the tape off. leaves a car stripe fine line, no seepage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. I was
planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting
doors and trim and installing them. I thought this would save time as
I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray
just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. What is the problem
with my approach?

Works for me. It is easier to paint the trim and doors on a couple of
sawhorses then masking and bending down on the floor. Wait a few days for
the paint to dry fully before installing. You will still need to cover your
nail holes and do some touch up, but since the paint is new matching is not
much of a problem. I like the look of sprayed paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:bf2ab423-604e-47cc-86c3-4d10cebce8e5
@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. I was
planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting
doors and trim and installing them. I thought this would save time as
I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray
just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. What is the problem
with my approach?

That is a good approach and is what we did in our new house construction.
It is the most common approach on new house construction that I have seen
- don't recall seeing any masked trim now that I think about it.

It will work great as long as you choose a type of paint that will look
good sprayed. The only things we masked were the windows and exterior
doors and that was easy because the trim was not on at the time so taping
accuracy was not an issue.

There are low build and high build paint options. Use only high build,
especially if you want to spray. The high build hides blemishes much
better while the low build will show every little thing and it dries much
quicker so over-spray edges are a real problem. I doubt that a decent job
can be done with spraying low build - it should only be rolled.

I used high build paint in my new house for both primer and top coat.
High build is much better for spraying than low build because it doesn't
mist much. A breathing filter mask is required but not a fume rated mask.
The low build is a bitch for misting and will require covering over all
window surfaces and anything you don't want painted. In my opinion you
couldn't do a decent job with low build. It would even mess up adjacent
finished walls while you were working. In homes low build is only
suitable for rolling - it is great for rolling because it goes on
easier. Needs extra coats though.

Our painter recommended spraying the primer and rolling the top coat. It
was a choice based on the fact that rolled on top coats are the norm
around here. Sprayed and rolled look much different so looks are an
important consideration. He said rolling high build was not an issue and
saved extra coats in some rooms. He saved a lot of trouble by having the
primer tinted at the same time as the top coats for every room.

Our painter and finishing carpenter collaborated on all the trim. The
carpenter cut and fitted all pieces and the painter sprayed them in the
basement or the garage depending on the weather. Then the carpenter did
the final installation and the painter sealed the nail holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 12:32*pm, Reno wrote:
[...]

Excellent advice! thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. I was
planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting
doors and trim and installing them. I thought this would save time as
I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray
just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. What is the problem
with my approach?

No problem. It's the fast way and it works fine. You'll have to touch up
the woodwork after installing it, but it will look just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 9:48*pm, wrote:
I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. *I was
planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting
doors and trim and installing them. *I thought this would save time as
I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray
just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. *What is the problem
with my approach?

I always stain and seal my trim before installing, its sure a lot
easier than doing it on the walls. If you can do trim work without
gouging the walls then thats the way to go to save a lot of time and
work.

Personally I would NEVER hire a "professional" painter that does not
mask all the woodwork either. If I dont see a perfectly straight cut
in between the wall and the oak trim with NO paint on the wood I have
them do it over with masking tape.