Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Default Finishing off a basement - framing walls question

Typically one must set back an outside wall about a half inch, then
insulate between the studs, right? But in my house, there is a lot of
plumbing that runs along the outside walls. Is it OK to frame a wall
much further, like about 6" to clear the pipes? How about even more,
like 2', so that the plumbing can be reached if there is leakage? My
basement is huge, so I'm not concerned about losing floor space. What
is the insulation recommendation then? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

Some here will tell you to leave a couple inches.

The book I read said to get the studs as close to the block/concrete as
you can but still have them plumb and straight. Then insulate with R13
non-faced batts and staple a continuous vapor barrier on the room side
of wall.

If you have plumbing along the wall, I'd guess the choice on an
additional few inches of clearance or building soffits is entirely
yours.

The 2' access space seems handy but sure is a high price to pay to
avoid having to re-do some drywall in 20 years, no matter how big the
basement is.

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Coghlan

46erjoe wrote:

Typically one must set back an outside wall about a half inch, then
insulate between the studs, right? But in my house, there is a lot of
plumbing that runs along the outside walls. Is it OK to frame a wall
much further, like about 6" to clear the pipes? How about even more,
like 2', so that the plumbing can be reached if there is leakage? My
basement is huge, so I'm not concerned about losing floor space. What
is the insulation recommendation then? Thanks.

What kind of plumbing is running along the outside walls? Is it 4" ABS
running along the ceiling? You can just build a bulkhead around it
rather than extend the entire wall out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:01:56 -0400, Patrick Coghlan
wrotF:

46erjoe wrote:

Typically one must set back an outside wall about a half inch, then
insulate between the studs, right? But in my house, there is a lot of
plumbing that runs along the outside walls. Is it OK to frame a wall
much further, like about 6" to clear the pipes? How about even more,
like 2', so that the plumbing can be reached if there is leakage? My
basement is huge, so I'm not concerned about losing floor space. What
is the insulation recommendation then? Thanks.

What kind of plumbing is running along the outside walls? Is it 4" ABS
running along the ceiling? You can just build a bulkhead around it
rather than extend the entire wall out.

Yeah is 4". I could box it in but it would be a PITA. Would prefer
the simpler way of just moving the stick walls inward. But if there
would be a moisture problem in the future then I guess I'll have to do
it.