Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag GAS range problems

A friend has a Maytag GAS range Model MGR5755BDQ.
About 2 hours after a thunderstorm, the clock/timer/oven control
stopped working with its readout flashing "F1".
She can't find the owners manual.

I've tried a power reset. After about 30 seconds it goes back to F1".
I suspect that a lighning surge blew a chip or two.
I may have to replace the clock/control PCB and have found online
sources but still wonder what the code "F1" means - probably the
obvious...

Anyone have trouble codes for these ranges?
I've checked the online sites - so far they don't....

------------------------------

Also, the top sealed GAS burners puzzle me....
There is one large opening, about 1/4" inches in diameter in the
circumference of each burner. The hole is to the rear, many times
larger than the standard burner holes and is not near the spark
igniters. The problem is that a large volume of gas jets out of each
of these large burner holes, sending a small finger of flame up the
side of a pan, sooting up the pan.

What was the purpose of these larger holes?

tnx,

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:

[...]

Check the back of the range. There's usually a envelope there with
instructions and/or wiring diagrams you won't find in the manual. I've
found info there on adjusting the oven calibration.
As to the burners, without more info I can't give an opinion. Carefully
check the instructions for converting the range. There might be more
info there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message

A friend has a Maytag GAS range Model MGR5755BDQ.
About 2 hours after a thunderstorm, the clock/timer/oven control
stopped working with its readout flashing "F1".
She can't find the owners manual.

You may find the manual on the Maytag web site. You can also try
troubleshooting at www.repairclinic.com

Never saw burners with a large hole as you describe. Sound strange to me.

Oh, and thank you for reminding me why we bought a range with no computer or
circuit boards. Our Bertazzoni has no electronics at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:

Also, the top sealed GAS burners puzzle me....
There is one large opening, about 1/4" inches in diameter in the
circumference of each burner. The hole is to the rear, many times
larger than the standard burner holes and is not near the spark
igniters. The problem is that a large volume of gas jets out of each
of these large burner holes, sending a small finger of flame up the
side of a pan, sooting up the pan.

What was the purpose of these larger holes?

All gas burners have a large opening to admit air which mix air with the gas
before combustion. They generally have a sleeve in the vicinity that can
adjust the size of the hole. Move the sleeve until the flame is the standard
blue.

Without Oxygen, you'll get a yellow flame signifying incomplete combustion
and that will, as you found out, generate soot.

Anyway, your problems about "F1" and this weird flame are not connected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:04:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the above but your comments about an opening to admit
oxygen is not applicable.

I'm not talking about that.

What I'm trying to describe is a "sealed" gas burner - typical on the
top burners of newer gas ranges.

Around the circumference of the burner is a series of small holes
allowing gas to jet out - so far - pretty typical.

However these burners have one large hole, about 1/4" in diameter on
the circumference that lets a large volume of gas jet out. In a sense
a large "finger" of a gas flame that rises up the side of any pan that
might be on the burner. These lharger holes or jets or not near the
spark ignitor for each burner - so ignition has nothing to do with
their purpose.

I know that "F1" computer issue and the flame is not connected....
I didn't imply that it was, did I???

Doug