Posted to alt.home.repair

Default questions about replacing the bottom few inches of panel siding

My house has T-111 type plywood panel siding on it. When it was
installed long before I bought the house, on an addition it was
installed much too close to the ground. Unsurprisingly, in these
areas, the siding has rotted and is falling apart.

Because the foundation of the addition is not nearly as high as the
original house, the only way to fix the problem is to regrade or find
another answer. For various reasons, regrading is not possible. So I
want to cut off the bottom 10" or so of the siding and replace it with
something more resilient like pressure treated lumber or cedar. The
idea is that either will be more resistant to rot and insects, and
further can be easily replaced in the future if it does succumb to the
elements.

This raises two issues: 1) I'm having trouble finding z-flashing that
accommodate anything thicker than 3/4" combined with 2) which is that
that I'm having trouble finding pressure treated or cedar that is
thinner than 1".

Ideally I'd have this board be the same thickness as the siding (3/8"
or 5/8" probably), but I don't think I'll find that. Any ideas where
to find 1" z-flashing?

Also, any suggestions for how to affix the z-flashing under the
existing siding edge given that I'm installing this 'backwards'?
Usually you'd start from the bottom and go up, so the flashing install
is simple.

Will pressure treated accept a solid-color stain well enough to blend
with the rest of the siding?

Comments on the whole plan or suggestions for alternatives are
welcome.

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My house has T-111 type plywood panel siding on it. When it was
installed long before I bought the house, on an addition it was
installed much too close to the ground. Unsurprisingly, in these
areas, the siding has rotted and is falling apart.

snip

This doesn't answer your questions, but are you certain the old siding is
treated? I did this job several years ago and it shows no sign of rot or any
other problems:

http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/158621674/sizes/o/

Also there are several 'patterns' and thicknesses of T1-11.
Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Try some hardiboard. Very durable and takes all kinds of solid
color stains and paints. Comes in various thicknesses and
widths. Should have something that you can use. I would not use
treated as it tends to warp. Cedar would not be my first choice
for that application, either. Cypress would work, but it too has
a tendancy to check and warp. Hardi would be my first choice.

Ideally I'd have this board be the same thickness as the siding (3/8"
or 5/8" probably), but I don't think I'll find that. Any ideas where
to find 1" z-flashing?

Try a real lumberyard, or failing that, get a sheet metal shop to
make some for you. All you have to do is call and tell them the
dimensions that you want. I prefer to do this as I can get Z
flashing with larger flanges, which helps to protect what it is
designed to protect.

Also, any suggestions for how to affix the z-flashing under the
existing siding edge given that I'm installing this 'backwards'?
Usually you'd start from the bottom and go up, so the flashing install
is simple.

Slip it up under the siding above and nail through the siding and
through the flashing at the top of the flashing. This is where
those wider flanges come in handy and make it harder at the same
time. You must remove all nails in the siding above in the area
that the flashing will extend behind it. Gives a wider nailing
area, but requires you to remove more nails (sometimes).

Will pressure treated accept a solid-color stain well enough to blend
with the rest of the siding?

See above about PT.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"PanHandler" wrote in message

Also there are several 'patterns' and thicknesses of T1-11.
Joe

Other projects, also.
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/1...n/photostream/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert,

Thanks so much for your smart suggestions. I can't believe I didn't
think about hardiboard. I had originally been looking at replacing
all of my plywood siding with cement fiber siding, but the quotes I
got were out of my budget (about $40-50k). I need something at least
10" tall for this fix, but I suspect they'll have a product that fits
the bill. The other suggestions on flashing and how to affix it are
great. Thanks!!