Scott J

Default Caulk for bottom of siding

I have a 2 year old house in south georgia, usa. A friend says I should
caulk the joint between the bottom of the exterior siding and the concrete
slab to prevent insects from nesting in the wall. Makes sense but I am
reluctant because I thought the joint should be open to allow moisture to
escape.

Should i caulk up this joint? Also is it better to use caulk or foam?

Thanks
Scott

Art

We caulked ours to stop the bugs. You could caulk from the inside though it
won't stop the bugs as well.. Latex paint passes moisture so that should
help get the moisture out. Every 10 feet you could use caulk go lock some
screen material in place. That will give moisture a weep hole if you are
concerned and keep the bugs out.

"Scott J" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 2 year old house in south georgia, usa. A friend says I should
caulk the joint between the bottom of the exterior siding and the concrete
slab to prevent insects from nesting in the wall. Makes sense but I am
reluctant because I thought the joint should be open to allow moisture to
escape.

Should i caulk up this joint? Also is it better to use caulk or foam?

Thanks
Scott

David Martel

Scott,

Bugs can easily walk up to the gap in the next course of siding so your
bug idea seems silly to me. Do not caulk.

Dave M.

Art

Depends on the gap. I've seen a lot of houses where the foundation was too
small for the siding and there is a good quarter inch or more gap under the
last piece of siding that just invites bugs in for dinner.

"David Martel" wrote in message
nk.net...
Scott,

Bugs can easily walk up to the gap in the next course of siding so your
bug idea seems silly to me. Do not caulk.

Dave M.

George E. Cawthon

David Martel wrote:
Scott,

Bugs can easily walk up to the gap in the next course of siding so your
bug idea seems silly to me. Do not caulk.

Dave M.

I think the caulk on the bottom is bad idea also,
but my question is, what gaps in the next course
up? There are certainly no gaps with my siding,
nor my neighbors. Seems like it would be crappy
siding if there are open spaces that bugs could
crawl into.