Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing the bottom of masonite siding

I have read some conflicting information on this. I have a feeling
that bugs are getting under the siding and working their way into the
house. I have looked at the bottom of the siding with a mirror, and I
see gaps between the siding, what appears to be a backing board of
about the same thickness (hopefully not another layer of siding), and
the foundation. Some people seem to say that you don't want to seal
these gaps because of moisture build up, while others say that it is
not an issue. Just wanted to see if I could get some more conclusive
answers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You sound as if you have a few problems here. 1) your siding is
warping; most masonite siding is manufactured for ten years usage; not
permanent usage as builders all over the US are doing. 2) Bug get in
whatever cracks they can. I'd have a good company come out and spray
up in the cracks to destroy nests and prevent them from coming back.
As far as the masonite goes you don't have much of a solution.
Underneath the siding is at the best hardy backer and at the worst
plywood board made up of plywood scraps and glue.

Sorry for the not so great report, however until we get legislation on
a Federal basis that mandates to the States how builders can build; we
the consumer buys crap and are stuck with it.

Tamara