Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Vertical Edge Sealing On T1-11 Wood Siding Panels ?

Hello,

Hate to be a pest on this, but there is so much expertise on
this group, that I thought I'd ask again, hoping someone new might
have any experience with this. I have been doing extensive lookups myself,
honest, but just can't come up with any answers.

With T1-11 wood house siding, I understand pretty much how the horizontal
edges are sealed
with Z-flashing, and how these edges should alo be primed, and spaced about
1/4" above the flashing to prevent any wicking into the end grain via
capillary action.

But, it's the vertical edges where they abut the neighboring panels that I
can't understand how they are sealed. Are they just primed with some
sealer, or
is their a special type of flashing, or are they caulked, or... ?

What is normally, or should be done, for these vertical edges ?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Much thanks,
Bob

BTW: are oil based sealer and primers O.K., or should one use only a latex
type ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Been years since I worked in building supply but as I remember the
T1-11 sheets had an side overlap and needed only to be painted or
sealed with a sealer like Thompson's Water Seal. I'd use a Thompsons
sealer on them before I installed. Hope this helps.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair
gerry

On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:33:43 -0400, "Robert11" wrote:

[...]

I am around a number of camp buildings with T1-11 as siding built 40
years ago. Still in excellent condition.

Vertical seams were glued to studs, an oil based penetrating stain was
used (sprayed or brushed, it varied). No edge preparation and no
problems in over 40 years.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com