Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Vertical Edge Sealing On T1-11 Wood Siding Panels ?

Hello,

Hate to be a pest on this, but there is so much expertise on
this group, that I thought I'd ask again, hoping someone new might
have any experience with this. I have been doing extensive lookups myself,
honest, but just can't come up with any answers.

With T1-11 wood house siding, I understand pretty much how the horizontal
edges are sealed
with Z-flashing, and how these edges should alo be primed, and spaced about
1/4" above the flashing to prevent any wicking into the end grain via
capillary action.

But, it's the vertical edges where they abut the neighboring panels that I
can't understand how they are sealed. Are they just primed with some
sealer, or
is their a special type of flashing, or are they caulked, or... ?

What is normally, or should be done, for these vertical edges ?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Much thanks,
Bob

BTW: are oil based sealer and primers O.K., or should one use only a latex
type ?