Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telephone Ringing Problem

Hi

When our telephone rings, it doesn't RING RING any more - it just
RINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGS.... one constant long ringtone, which is really
very annoying. But everything wlse appears to work fine.

We have two phones. and 4 BT type sockets, and either phone does the
same in any of the four sockets.

We are with TalkTalk for line rental and calls and broadband. Their
custoemr service is rubbish but their telephone & b/band service has
been very good....

We have a little junction box in an upstairs cupboard, where the main
line in is split into the four extensions. Inside the box, four
coloured wires (Blue/white, White/orange, Orange/white and White/Blue,
with the spare green and brown wires terminating at the junction box -
that's all from memory but I can check if necessary) are connected to
their respective wires in the extension cables.

Can anyone help?

many thanks!

TT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 7:38*am, paddytt wrote:
Hi

When our telephone rings, it doesn't RING RING any more - it just
RINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGS.... *one constant long ring-tone, which is really
very annoying. *But everything else appears to work fine.

We have two phones. and 4 BT type sockets, and either phone does the
same in any of the four sockets.

We are with TalkTalk for line rental and calls and broadband. *Their
customer service is rubbish but their telephone & b/band service has
been very good....

We have a little junction box in an upstairs cupboard, where the main
line in is split into the four extensions. *Inside the box, four
coloured wires (Blue/white, White/orange, Orange/white and White/Blue,
with the spare green and brown wires terminating at the junction box -
that's all from memory but I can check if necessary) are connected to
their respective wires in the extension cables.

Can anyone help?

many thanks!

TT

Sounds; since you mention a 'Ring' pause 'Ring' signal as though you
are in the UK or Europe somewhere????
Most standard ringing, in North America, for example, is a two second
ring, followed by a four second pause, then another 2 sec. ring etc.
Each complete cycle taking six seconds. Whereas yours has a 'Ring-
ring' during the two second portion of a similar six second cycle.
Just for the record; the colours you mention sound like two 'pairs' of
wires; using a standard telcomm. industry colour code.
Pair 1. Blue with white mate.
Pair 2. Orange with white mate.
Pair 3. Green ... etc.
Pair 4. Brown ......
Pair 5. Slate (sort of purple colour) ....
Then these can be repeated with mate wires of a different colour etc.
to make hundred of combinations, as used in large cables.
So if you have one service into the house it is 'likely' to be on the
first or Blue/White pair of wires.
Strange symptom! Has the supplier changed their ringing software or
something?
Your phones are they standard wire line phones or are they
electrically powered cordless ones?
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
On Aug 3, 7:38 am, paddytt wrote:
[...]

Yeah, he's calling from near Manchester.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Aug, 19:15, terry wrote:
On Aug 3, 7:38*am, paddytt wrote:

[...]

Yes, sorry forgot to mention we're in the UK. We have two phones
connected, one wired and one cordless - same on both. Never heard
this type of ring in the UK before - and it won't be the supplier
because we're rural and the national supplier, BT, sub their lines to
the smaller players, so they're all using the same local exchange.

Anyone got any ideas?

thanks

TT
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
paddytt wrote:

forgot to mention we're in the UK. We have two phones
connected, one wired and one cordless - same on both. Never heard
this type of ring in the UK before - and it won't be the supplier
because we're rural and the national supplier, BT, sub their lines to
the smaller players, so they're all using the same local exchange.

Anyone got any ideas?

Unless the ring lasts longer than 2-3 seconds, it's entirely possible
that your local provider has changed/upgraded their switch and is now
using one that rings the line PROPERLY!! [ducking]

IOW, on this side of the Atlantic, we're used to a single ring of
approximately 2-3 second duration followed by a 2-3 second pause, then
another ring, etc.

If your ring is LONGER than what I've described, you have a repair
issue. Call BT. Make 'em EARN the money you pay them. Good luck.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 11 Aug 2008 12:03:46a, told us...

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:48:32 -0700 (PDT), paddytt
wrote:

Hi

Yes, sorry forgot to mention we're in the UK. We have two phones

I didn't know they have phones in the UK ?

You don't get out much, do you?

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 6dys 18hrs 3mins
Cats must climb the wallpaper in their
human's new house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

paddytt wrote:
On 3 Aug, 19:15, terry wrote:
On Aug 3, 7:38 am, paddytt wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a feature of the provider switch.

You could try uk.d-i-y which includes UK electrical.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

Hi

Yes, sorry forgot to mention we're in the UK. We have two phones

I didn't know they have phones in the UK ?

Sure they are all black and very heavy. That's how they got the initials Black
& Tubby = BT
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Telephones ringing gary Home Repair 6 April 5th 08 02:50 PM
Telephone problem sp1ke Home Repair 3 May 30th 07 10:16 PM
Telephone problem Mark Lloyd Home Repair 0 May 30th 07 09:51 PM
Telephone problem Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 0 May 30th 07 08:00 PM
Telephone problem with the lines [email protected] Electronics Repair 35 July 27th 05 02:55 AM