Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 100 yr old Brick home-need advice please

Hello, I lurk here occasionally and have read many good tips.

About an hour ago, some bricks above the 2nd story windows, prolly 2-3
feet below the flat roof just fell to the ground!

About 100 bricks....(?) of the outside layer. I can see another layer
still intact (so far)

I'm quite stunned. Please post any thoughts/ advice. I'm sure I will
learn as I go... but it would be nice to have some tips ahead of time.

Thank you in advance, Dmg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jrg Dmg" wrote in message
Hello, I lurk here occasionally and have read many good tips.

About an hour ago, some bricks above the 2nd story windows, prolly 2-3
feet below the flat roof just fell to the ground!

About 100 bricks....(?) of the outside layer. I can see another layer
still intact (so far)

I'm quite stunned. Please post any thoughts/ advice. I'm sure I will
learn as I go... but it would be nice to have some tips ahead of time.

Thank you in advance, Dmg

You may need professional advice. Mortar can deteriorate so it is common to
re-point at some time to avoid what you are seeing. I'd call a mason that
can tell better than any of us here just what the problem it. Since they
are below the flat roof you may have water/drainage problems that need
checking also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jrg Dmg" wrote in message
Hello, I lurk here occasionally and have read many good tips.

About an hour ago, some bricks above the 2nd story windows, prolly 2-3
feet below the flat roof just fell to the ground!

About 100 bricks....(?) of the outside layer. I can see another layer
still intact (so far)

I'm quite stunned. Please post any thoughts/ advice. I'm sure I will
learn as I go... but it would be nice to have some tips ahead of time.

Thank you in advance, Dmg

Before repairs can begin, the mortar must be tested for the correct mix of
lime and cement. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...232787,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 2:15*am, (Jrg Dmg) wrote:
Hello, I *lurk here occasionally and have read many good tips.

About an hour ago, some bricks *above the 2nd story windows, prolly 2-3
feet below the flat roof just fell to the ground!

About 100 bricks....(?) of the outside layer. *I can see another layer
still intact (so far)

I'm quite stunned. *Please post any thoughts/ advice. * I'm sure I will
learn as I go... but it would be nice to have some tips ahead of time. *

Thank you in advance, Dmg

Both John and Edwin are correct, IMHO.
Look for a 'Forensic Architect or Engineer'.
The underlying cause and the extent of the problem must be known
before a fix can be suggested.
Where is the building?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 7:00*am, " wrote:
On Jul 31, 2:15*am, (Jrg Dmg) wrote:

Hello, I *lurk here occasionally and have read many good tips.

About an hour ago, some bricks *above the 2nd story windows, prolly 2-3
feet below the flat roof just fell to the ground!

About 100 bricks....(?) of the outside layer. *I can see another layer
still intact (so far)

I'm quite stunned. *Please post any thoughts/ advice. * I'm sure I will
learn as I go... but it would be nice to have some tips ahead of time. *

Thank you in advance, Dmg

Both John and Edwin are correct, IMHO.
Look for a 'Forensic Architect or Engineer'.
The underlying cause and the extent of the problem must be known
before a fix can be suggested.
Where is the building?

An hour ago 100 bricks fell, so in an hour 1000 more bricks could
fall, and you first write here, instead of being on the phone trying
to get someone, the city, an engineer, contractor or mason out
immediatly out to your home, how about a photo! I say troll, but if
not get out a few pros now. Post a photo for better advise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 1:15*am, (Jrg Dmg) wrote:
Hello, I *lurk here occasionally and have read many good tips.

About an hour ago, some bricks *above the 2nd story windows, prolly 2-3
feet below the flat roof just fell to the ground!

About 100 bricks....(?) of the outside layer. *I can see another layer
still intact (so far)

I'm quite stunned. *Please post any thoughts/ advice. * I'm sure I will
learn as I go... but it would be nice to have some tips ahead of time. *

Thank you in advance, Dmg

Another question, you say bricks fell above second story window, so
its just below the roof, "prolly 2-3feet below the flat roof just fell
to the ground". Well on my flat roof building there is only 3 feet
from the window to the roof. 100 brick is maybe a 3x9 ft span.
Trollin. if true post a photo of this unmaintained place that likely
would be condemed
Posted to alt.home.repair

I also want pics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Jrg Dmg" wrote in message
Hello, I lurk here occasionally and have read many good tips.

About an hour ago, some bricks above the 2nd story windows, prolly 2-3
feet below the flat roof just fell to the ground!

About 100 bricks....(?) of the outside layer. I can see another layer
still intact (so far)

I'm quite stunned. Please post any thoughts/ advice. I'm sure I will
learn as I go... but it would be nice to have some tips ahead of time.

Thank you in advance, Dmg

You may need professional advice. Mortar can deteriorate so it is common to
re-point at some time to avoid what you are seeing. I'd call a mason that
can tell better than any of us here just what the problem it. Since they
are below the flat roof you may have water/drainage problems that need
checking also.

I'll second that. The fact that he is asking the question here indicates
that he does not have the skill set to assess the damage or conduct the
repairs. (Not a slam- no reason for him to ever have learned it.) IMHO,
most garden-variety new-construction masons could not be counted on to
have the skills either, since all they have likely ever laid is veneer
facings. (Maybe an old gray-haired mason...) He needs a building
restoration contractor that works in old-style brick structures. After a
2-year break, they are finally having the 80-year old wing of the office
I work in done, and this new contractor is doing a MUCH better job than
the one that did the 100+ year old wing. I'm learning a LOT by
rubber-necking, and I grew up in the construction business. I'm no
expert, but I know enough to know what I don't know, and when to call
for a real expert.

But having said all that- I suspect you are right about water
infiltration, either from the roof, or a failed mortar joint high on the
wall. Other suspect is ivy, if OP has that on his house. Pretty, but a
serial killer of brick walls. Step one is a site survey by an engineer,
either independent or associated with a restoration company. (The good
ones have enough work that they don't need to scam people.) Pay the
engineer for his expertise to write up a remediation plan. If it is
simple, a local mason could maybe do it. If a whole face layer let go, I
suspect they will need to add anchors to the interior layers to tie it
all together. It may not have been laid right in the first place- there
were hacks 100 years ago too, and not much in the way of inspection.

BTW, the entire house should be inspected and prodded. If one spot
failed, others are likely also having problems.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 5:13*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Jrg Dmg" wrote in message
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Who doesnt see troll all over the place, a 3x9 ft section fell and he
is here asking questions first, I say wake up.