Posted to alt.home.repair
W. Wells

Default Painting Brick Home

I live in a brick home that is 75 years old. I have had to replace masonry
several times due to deteration. None of the repairs has matched the
original masonry.

I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry and cover
the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted brick homes that I
have seen.

What is the best method of painting brick? It is a two story house so I
don't plan on doing the job myself but would like to make sure the paint
contractor does it right. Help would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

W. Wells wrote:
I live in a brick home that is 75 years old. I have had to replace masonry
several times due to deteration. None of the repairs has
matched the original masonry.

I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry
and cover the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted
brick homes that I have seen.

What is the best method of painting brick? It is a two story house so
I don't plan on doing the job myself but would like to make sure the
paint contractor does it right. Help would be appreciated.

Don't do it. Think about how it is going to look when the paint starts
to peel and it will. Then consider what it will cost to remove the paint.
That will be really big dollars and really messy.

Consider having the patches done properly if necessary and then doing a
cleaning. It will cost more than paint in the short term, but be far
cheaper and IMO far better looking in the long term.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

going to be painting every few years, masonary breathes, causes paint
to peel.

its hard to sell a painted brick home, because of the added maintence
cost involved....

so net less oney at home sale time...

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
going to be painting every few years, masonary breathes, causes paint
to peel.

its hard to sell a painted brick home, because of the added maintence
cost involved....

so net less oney at home sale time...

I agree. If I were home shopping, I'd pass one of these by without even
getting out of the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair
trainfan1

W. Wells wrote:
I live in a brick home that is 75 years old. I have had to replace masonry
several times due to deteration. None of the repairs has matched the
original masonry.

I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry and cover
the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted brick homes that I
have seen.

What is the best method of painting brick? It is a two story house so I
don't plan on doing the job myself but would like to make sure the paint
contractor does it right. Help would be appreciated.

I have seen very few of these done right, and those that looked
reasonably good were done with 2 part epoxy coatings or Imron. It was
due to the ability to get rid of graffiti off an Imron surface that one
building in the city was done this way.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss

On Sat, 20 May 2006 11:59:37 GMT, "W. Wells" wrote:

I live in a brick home that is 75 years old. I have had to replace masonry
several times due to deteration. None of the repairs has matched the
original masonry.

I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry and cover
the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted brick homes that I
have seen.

Don't do it. Think of the variation as adding charm to an old house.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 May 2006 11:59:37 GMT, "W. Wells" wrote:

I live in a brick home that is 75 years old. I have had to replace
masonry
several times due to deteration. None of the repairs has matched the
original masonry.

I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry and
cover
the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted brick homes that
have seen.

Don't do it. Think of the variation as adding charm to an old house.

.....or hire a mason who knows how to match the color of the old mortar.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

After application? I've heard of coloring it before, but..after?

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
Mortar can be stained.

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 May 2006 11:59:37 GMT, "W. Wells" wrote:

I live in a brick home that is 75 years old. I have had to replace
masonry
several times due to deteration. None of the repairs has matched the
original masonry.

I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry and
cover
the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted brick homes
that I
have seen.

Don't do it. Think of the variation as adding charm to an old house.

....or hire a mason who knows how to match the color of the old mortar.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Perhaps some but the one I saw looked like a simple spray job judging by the
overspray. I would think that you'd be more careful with epoxy because it
is expensive and unremovable.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Maybe they're "painted" with an epoxy like someone mentioned earlier.

"Art" wrote in message
.net...

In NC some people actually buy brand new painted brick homes.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
going to be painting every few years, masonary breathes, causes paint
to peel.

its hard to sell a painted brick home, because of the added maintence
cost involved....

so net less oney at home sale time...

I agree. If I were home shopping, I'd pass one of these by without even
getting out of the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Yeh there are guys who stain mortar to match properly the rest of the house.
Nothing you can do with non matching bricks though if that is the problem.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
After application? I've heard of coloring it before, but..after?

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
Mortar can be stained.

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 May 2006 11:59:37 GMT, "W. Wells" wrote:

I live in a brick home that is 75 years old. I have had to replace
masonry
several times due to deteration. None of the repairs has matched the
original masonry.

I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry and
cover
the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted brick homes
that I
have seen.

Don't do it. Think of the variation as adding charm to an old house.

....or hire a mason who knows how to match the color of the old mortar.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wElLcom two thu nu aMurica. Some pigs seem to think they can lower their
work standards because they only need to compete with the Chinese.

"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
Perhaps some but the one I saw looked like a simple spray job judging by
the overspray. I would think that you'd be more careful with epoxy
because it is expensive and unremovable.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Maybe they're "painted" with an epoxy like someone mentioned earlier.

"Art" wrote in message
.net...

In NC some people actually buy brand new painted brick homes.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
going to be painting every few years, masonary breathes, causes paint
to peel.

its hard to sell a painted brick home, because of the added maintence
cost involved....

so net less oney at home sale time...

I agree. If I were home shopping, I'd pass one of these by without even
getting out of the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. Wells wrote:
I live in a brick home that is 75 years old. I have had to replace masonry
several times due to deteration. None of the repairs has matched the
original masonry.

Such is life.

I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry and cover
the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted brick homes that I
have seen.

Yeesh.

What is the best method of painting brick?

Elect not to? Once brick is painted, you've lost its low maintenance
features and created just another surface that needs to be apinted
regularly.

It is a two story house so I
don't plan on doing the job myself but would like to make sure the paint
contractor does it right. Help would be appreciated.

CHeck on the number of people asking how to remove paint from brick and
how hard it is. If you don't like the look of your brick, consider
getting siding put over it or something else that is removable at a later
date.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Philip Lewis

W. Wells wrote:
I thought maybe painting the house would help seal the old masonry and cover
the redone masonry. I practically like all of the painted brick homes that I
have seen.

I'm on the yuck side when it comes to painted brick, but it's your
house, so you should do what you want. I do have some ideas, though.

What about staining the brick? It should give a more uniform look to
the entire house. It won't be a perfect match, but it might allow the
brick to breath, and I *think* it would have less a chance of being
nasty looking. Anyone in the industry know if this is possible?

What about faux painting *only* the repair bricks to make them match
the majority of the house?

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

better to vinly side over brick, at least it never requires repainting

for all the costs painting your home every few years its likely cheaper
and better to get all the masonary repointed. at least its a one time
expense..