Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Auto Paint Query

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Thanks for any useful information.
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Just rub some sand on the newly painted areas.

--Tedward

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 4:07*pm, "Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
"Mercellus Bohren" wrote

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Just rub some sand on the newly painted areas.

--Tedward

Do you mean fine-grit sandpaper?
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Just rub some sand on the newly painted areas.

--Tedward

Do you mean fine-grit sandpaper?

I was kidding. Fine-grit might actually work, and what the hell,
it already looks funny. Go real easy on it though.

I trust it's shinier and the color stands out as new, as opposed
to the slightly faded paint of the rest of the car.

--Tedward

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 4:23*pm, "Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
"Mercellus Bohren" wrote

[...]

I figured you were yoking. I think I'm going to take it in and have
the fine upstanding honest body shop guys give me an estimate.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

[...]

They should be able to just fix your mess. At the worst
they would repaint the hood.

Ken

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 4:29*pm, "NapalmHeart" wrote:
[...]

I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood.
What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I
really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've
searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix
on the dollars.
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood.
What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I
really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've
searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix
on the dollars.

Figure six hours at local labor rates plus around $40 in materials to do the
entire hood.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 4:57*pm, "PanHandler" wrote:
"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood.
What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I
really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've
searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix
on the dollars.

Figure six hours at local labor rates plus around $40 in materials to do the
entire hood.

Looks to be $40-45 an hour around these parts. So, maybe around $300.

Do you know if they can take a swipe at touching up small areas on the
side of the car, without having to paint an entire door, or quarter-
panel, etc.?
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 4:57 pm, "PanHandler" wrote:
"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood.
What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I
really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've
searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix
on the dollars.

Figure six hours at local labor rates plus around $40 in materials to do
the
entire hood.

Looks to be $40-45 an hour around these parts. So, maybe around $300.

Do you know if they can take a swipe at touching up small areas on the
side of the car, without having to paint an entire door, or quarter-
panel, etc.?

Same likelihood as the hood I would imagine.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 5:08*pm, Doug Miller wrote:
In article 08cce828-7f90-4844-9f89-04349aa99d56
@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com, says...

I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood.
What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I
really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've
searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix
on the dollars.

Had you thought about picking up the phone and calling a couple of body
shops and actually asking??

I am hearing impaired and like to use the internet newsgroups if
possible, before I go in and have someone take advantage of my
disability.
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Mercellus,

Your State probably offers special telephone apparatus for the hearing
impaired. Or you could fax or e-mail your query.

Dave M.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:15:41 -0700 (PDT), Mercellus Bohren
wrote:

I am hearing impaired and like to use the internet newsgroups if
possible, before I go in and have someone take advantage of my
disability.

Mercellus, I am totally sympathetic to this, but the bottom line is
that you need to get local prices for this work, which presumably you
will be getting done locally. My suggestion, as someone intimately
familiar with your circumstances, is to get local prices from several
body shops and then post back here with your results to see how they
might compare. Make sure they are truly comparable (how many hours of
labor, etc.).

Even better would be to ask friends and colleagues whom they've used
for similar work, especially if they were happy with the businesses
years after the work was done.

Your quest is a lot easier than mine: I'm getting prices for a
driveway resurfacing job, and I'm having a hard time determining which
contractors are reliable (this particular line of business is like
roofing: full of disreputable characters). JoeSpareBedroom: can you
tell me if Tumia Paving is a reliable business? I am avoiding Tandoi
based on a couple of suggestions, but I can find nothing on Tumia, and
I don't want to be seduced by the nice older couple that came over to
give their price last night....

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 2:35*pm, Mercellus Bohren wrote:
[...]

Why don't you just buy a can of flat-black spray paint and use it to
paint the hood. If your wife says anything, tell her you did this to
reduce sun glare.
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ike Ike is offline

lein wrote:
[...]

Take it to Earl Scheib. He'll paint ANY car for just Twenty-nine
ninety-five!

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"L'audace, L'audace, Toujour L'audace."
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In article , Ike wrote:

Take it to Earl Scheib. He'll paint ANY car for just Twenty-nine
ninety-five!

Friend of mine checked into that back in the 70s.... the ads said "we'll paint
your entire car for only $29.95."

He found that was literally true.

If you wanted them to mask off the glass, tires, trim, headlights, taillights,
turn signals, and so forth before they started spraying -- well, that was an
extra couple hundred dollars.
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Mercellus Bohren
wrote:

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Thanks for any useful information.

I've had good luck with this product on touch up paint spots on my
RX-7:

http://www.langka.com/

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 29 Jul, 21:59, Mercellus Bohren wrote:
I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Thanks for any useful information.

I wouldn't waste your money if I was you. What you should do is get
all your cash and blow it on crack and prostitutes, believe me you
won't regret it. However if you are adamant, a garage near me called
Turd Polishers Ltd will do it for fifty quid.

PS, Do you know a good cure for itchy ********?
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 4:59*pm, Mercellus Bohren wrote:
I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Thanks for any useful information.

Is this the old SAAB? If so, roll that thing into Earl Scheib and
tell 'em you want the $300 special.

You might want to ask if you can stick around and help 'em tape it, so
they don't paint your tires, rims, and windows.

While we're on the topic, what appears to be the clear coat on my 95
BMW has blistered and cracked in a few spots on the trunk lid -
must've been bird turd - any recommendations for that?

a.
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Is this the old SAAB? If so, roll that thing into Earl Scheib and
tell 'em you want the $300 special.

You might want to ask if you can stick around and help 'em tape it, so
they don't paint your tires, rims, and windows.

While we're on the topic, what appears to be the clear coat on my 95
BMW has blistered and cracked in a few spots on the trunk lid -
must've been bird turd - any recommendations for that?

How would the overspray hit the "rims" and not the entire wheel? :-)

It's a good thing elephants don't fly!

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 9:29*am, "PanHandler" wrote:
wrote in message

Is this the old SAAB? *If so, roll that thing into Earl Scheib and
tell 'em you want the $300 special.

You might want to ask if you can stick around and help 'em tape it, so
they don't paint your tires, rims, and windows.

While we're on the topic, what appears to be the clear coat on my 95
BMW has blistered and cracked in a few spots on the trunk lid -
must've been bird turd - any recommendations for that?

How would the overspray hit the "rims" and not the entire wheel? * :-)

Overspray? This is Earl Scheib, that wouldn't be overspray. If it
ain't taped, it's painted.

a.
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 7:20*am, "
wrote:
[...]

My old '97 Saab died on the operating table at the Saab Specialist a
couple of weeks ago. She was never the same after I drove her
underwater for a few seconds a year or so ago. I bought a low-mileage
2002 Saab 95 3.0t V6 Arc. It's got air-conditioned seats! The paint is
still good on it, so I think I'll just get the body shop guys to take
a look and see what they can do.
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint

Touch up paint in the $5 sticks requires real skill to apply
(almost invisibly) Spray cans of touch up paint (custom-
mixed, about $25) require much less skill to apply
invisibly, so long as you apply thinnest coats over the
largest area.

To restore shine, most paint repairs also require a
top coat of uncoloured shiny finish, also available to
the maker's specifications from specialist paint mixing shops.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 29, 4:59*pm, Mercellus Bohren wrote:
I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Thanks for any useful information.

In addition to the other suggestions you've received on this issue, if
you want to try to fix it yourself, you could do the following...

make sure that the touch up paint that you have applied is *above* the
surface of the original paint. If not, put some more on. Get to a
real auto paint supply and get yourself a "nib file" or "run razor" or
similar device, an assortment of fine (1000-2000) grit sandpaper, a
good power buffer and lambswool pad, and some polishing compound.
Explain to the counter guy what you're trying to do, he will likely be
able to offer recommendations on specific products to use. Carefully
bring the level of the touch up paint down to the level of the
surrounding paint with the nib file, taking care not to actually cut
into the original paint. Then wash the panel THOROUGHLY with dish
soap and warm water, rinse, and wet sand the panel lightly with fine
grit sandpaper - nothing you'll find at your local hardware store,
start with 1000 or 1500, work up to 2000. Don't try to take a whole
lot of paint off, you're just gently smoothing the surface. Then buff
with polishing compound on a lambswool pad, wash again with your dish
soap, and apply two or three coats of good wax.

enjoy!

nate
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 12:50*pm, N8N wrote:
[...]

Damb, Nate. The rscking intertubes were useful today. Thx bud.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 12:59*pm, "Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
I TOLD YOU TO SAND IT YOU LOOSER!!!

--Tedward

42 MESSAGES TO GET BACK THE FIRST ANSWER!!!!!1111 THIS GOES ON YOUR
PERMANENT RECORD!!!!!! [rutsie marker]
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 31, 2:03*pm, Mercellus Bohren wrote:
On Jul 31, 12:59*pm, "Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:

I TOLD YOU TO SAND IT YOU LOOSER!!!

--Tedward

42 MESSAGES TO GET BACK THE FIRST ANSWER!!!!!1111 THIS GOES ON YOUR
PERMANENT RECORD!!!!!! [rutsie marker]

great, I try to help and now I have the Violent Femmes stuck in my
head. thanks a lot! (kidding, I think...)

nate
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote

I TOLD YOU TO SAND IT YOU LOOSER!!!

--Tedward

42 MESSAGES TO GET BACK THE FIRST ANSWER!!!!!1111 THIS GOES ON YOUR
PERMANENT RECORD!!!!!! [rutsie marker]

great, I try to help and now I have the Violent Femmes stuck in my
head. thanks a lot! (kidding, I think...)

Welcome to rsfc, where no good deed goes un-pun-ished.

And it could have been worse. It could have been The Wiggles.
Think about that the next your driving around with an alligator
or dressing up as a gay pirate.

--Tedward