Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mercellus Bohren Mercellus Bohren is offline

Default Auto Paint Query

On Jul 31, 12:50*pm, N8N wrote:
On Jul 29, 4:59*pm, Mercellus Bohren wrote:

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road
pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the
headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint
color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because
now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint
swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you
brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look
funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them
just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How
much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Thanks for any useful information.

In addition to the other suggestions you've received on this issue, if
you want to try to fix it yourself, you could do the following...

make sure that the touch up paint that you have applied is *above* the
surface of the original paint. *If not, put some more on. *Get to a
real auto paint supply and get yourself a "nib file" or "run razor" or
similar device, an assortment of fine (1000-2000) grit sandpaper, a
good power buffer and lambswool pad, and some polishing compound.
Explain to the counter guy what you're trying to do, he will likely be
able to offer recommendations on specific products to use. *Carefully
bring the level of the touch up paint down to the level of the
surrounding paint with the nib file, taking care not to actually cut
into the original paint. *Then wash the panel THOROUGHLY with dish
soap and warm water, rinse, and wet sand the panel lightly with fine
grit sandpaper - nothing you'll find at your local hardware store,
start with 1000 or 1500, work up to 2000. *Don't try to take a whole
lot of paint off, you're just gently smoothing the surface. *Then buff
with polishing compound on a lambswool pad, wash again with your dish
soap, and apply two or three coats of good wax.

enjoy!

nate

Damb, Nate. The rscking intertubes were useful today. Thx bud.