John Moorhead

Default finishing query with paint

Folks -

I've just finished painting (gasp) an adirondack chair and will be
delivering it on Friday. I used green latex exterior, as requested, but had
a question. Can wax be put over paint? The chair's owner wanted to know
if she could wax it to provide extra protection from the foul weather - I
don't know. Would wax harm the paint? What about lemon or citrus
oil/beeswax combos? Paste waxes? Remarks?

TIA,

John

Mike in Mystic

wax won't harm the paint, but it also will do nothing to protect the chair
in addition to what the outdoor paint you used already will do. there
really isn't any need for it.

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
. ..
Folks -

I've just finished painting (gasp) an adirondack chair and will be
delivering it on Friday. I used green latex exterior, as requested, but

had
a question. Can wax be put over paint? The chair's owner wanted to know
if she could wax it to provide extra protection from the foul weather - I
don't know. Would wax harm the paint? What about lemon or citrus
oil/beeswax combos? Paste waxes? Remarks?

TIA,

John

SonomaProducts.com

You might see if there is a Thompsons Water Sealer for application over
paint. Other than that, I'd say charge her for a repaint every year.

BTW what plans did you use? I'm just finalizing a set derived from
various versions I've seen out there. I have the "look" I want but I'm
worried about stability. I'm hoping to make the whole thing out of Home
Depot type 3/4" #2 Pine and paint it.

jo4hn

John Moorhead wrote:

Folks -

I've just finished painting (gasp) an adirondack chair and will be
delivering it on Friday. I used green latex exterior, as requested, but had
a question. Can wax be put over paint? The chair's owner wanted to know
if she could wax it to provide extra protection from the foul weather - I
don't know. Would wax harm the paint? What about lemon or citrus
oil/beeswax combos? Paste waxes? Remarks?

TIA,

John

Quality exterior primer and paint should do the job. And it will keep
the cherry from darkening. No matter what you put on, it will need
sanding and repainting after a few years.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Leon

Buy quality exterior paint. Good paint on the outside of houses last a very
long time.

Wax, no reason as it will not stop water from coming through.

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
. ..
Folks -

I've just finished painting (gasp) an adirondack chair and will be
delivering it on Friday. I used green latex exterior, as requested, but
had a question. Can wax be put over paint? The chair's owner wanted to
know if she could wax it to provide extra protection from the foul
weather - I don't know. Would wax harm the paint? What about lemon or
citrus oil/beeswax combos? Paste waxes? Remarks?

TIA,

John

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:58:51 GMT, "John Moorhead"
calmly ranted:

Folks -

I've just finished painting (gasp) an adirondack chair and will be
delivering it on Friday. I used green latex exterior, as requested, but had
a question. Can wax be put over paint? The chair's owner wanted to know
if she could wax it to provide extra protection from the foul weather - I
don't know. Would wax harm the paint? What about lemon or citrus
oil/beeswax combos? Paste waxes? Remarks?

You want to put wax over plastic?

The answer is "No." _Paint_ is the protective finish. When the finish
deteriorates, sand and repaint it.

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"

Paul Kierstead

jo4hn wrote:
Quality exterior primer and paint should do the job. And it will keep
the cherry from darkening.

ROFLMAO!!! Thanks for quality amusement to revitalize me after work!

PK
Roger Shoaf

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
You might see if there is a Thompsons Water Sealer for application over
paint. Other than that, I'd say charge her for a repaint every year.

BTW what plans did you use? I'm just finalizing a set derived from
various versions I've seen out there. I have the "look" I want but I'm
worried about stability. I'm hoping to make the whole thing out of Home
Depot type 3/4" #2 Pine and paint it.

I think cedar would be better for exterior furniture than pine would be.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Ceiling -- finishing query / problem` froggers UK diy 0 October 2nd 03 06:57 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM