Posted to alt.home.repair

Default worthwhile to put up a new wall in 500sq ft apt to make it a 1 bdrm?

I own a 500 sq ft apartment in downtown DC. I’m trying to decide if
it would be worthwhile to put up a wall that splits the kitchen and
living room from the bedroom. Would the apartment be more valuable if
it’s sold as a one bedroom instead of a junior one bedroom? The cost
of the wall should be about $1500. Last year I renovated the
apartment and put the kitchen in a different spot, so the apartment
now has a new layout that lends itself nicely to a division of the
apartment's bedroom and main living area.

Also, how much should the 14ft wall cost me? I want to do a pocket
door to save space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:42*pm, Michael wrote:
I own a 500 sq ft apartment in downtown DC. *I’m trying to decide if
it would be worthwhile to put up a wall that splits the kitchen and
living room from the bedroom. *Would the apartment be more valuable if
it’s sold as a one bedroom instead of a junior one bedroom? *The cost
of the wall should be about $1500. *Last year I renovated the
apartment and put the kitchen in a different spot, so the apartment
now has a new layout that lends itself nicely to a division of the
apartment's bedroom and main living area.

Also, how much should the 14ft wall cost me? *I want to do a pocket
door to save space.

Ask the realtor who sold you the place? What do similar places sell
for?

I would personally prefer a real bedroom over a "studio" / loft
arrange.
(But 500 sq ft is way too small to qualify for a real loft, maybe a
"new millennium" loft.)

Always better to have a place to change / finish dressing while
guest(s) sit in the living room.

How big (& what shape) would the resulting bedroom be?
Properly done you should be able to squeeze out a nice seperate
bedroom.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

14x8 wall should only take 7 sheets of sheetrock. so figure 8

sheetrock = $64
(12) 2x4 studs = $36
(2) 2x4x14 for header and footer = $12
misc mud tape nails = $20 (this is being very generous)
(1) prehung door 32" = $80

total i come up with in midwestern prices is $212. So if you're paying a
thousand dollars for this 6 hour project, let me know and I'll come do it
myself.

steve

"Michael" wrote in message
I own a 500 sq ft apartment in downtown DC. I’m trying to decide if
it would be worthwhile to put up a wall that splits the kitchen and
living room from the bedroom. Would the apartment be more valuable if
it’s sold as a one bedroom instead of a junior one bedroom? The cost
of the wall should be about $1500. Last year I renovated the
apartment and put the kitchen in a different spot, so the apartment
now has a new layout that lends itself nicely to a division of the
apartment's bedroom and main living area.

Also, how much should the 14ft wall cost me? I want to do a pocket
door to save space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote:

14x8 wall should only take 7 sheets of sheetrock. so figure 8

sheetrock = $64
(12) 2x4 studs = $36
(2) 2x4x14 for header and footer = $12
misc mud tape nails = $20 (this is being very generous)
(1) prehung door 32" = $80

total i come up with in midwestern prices is $212. So if you're paying a
thousand dollars for this 6 hour project, let me know and I'll come do it
myself.

steve

If you can buy materials, build the wall, install the door, put up
drywall on both sides, tape and mud, let dry for a day and come back,
another coat of mud, let dry another day and come back for the final
coat of mud, in six hours, I'll let you know the next time I need some
construction work done!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael wrote:
I own a 500 sq ft apartment in downtown DC. I’m trying to decide if
it would be worthwhile to put up a wall that splits the kitchen and
living room from the bedroom. Would the apartment be more valuable if
it’s sold as a one bedroom instead of a junior one bedroom? The cost
of the wall should be about $1500. Last year I renovated the
apartment and put the kitchen in a different spot, so the apartment
now has a new layout that lends itself nicely to a division of the
apartment's bedroom and main living area.

Also, how much should the 14ft wall cost me? I want to do a pocket
door to save space.

Why reduce your prospective buyers by 50%?

Think removable/adjustable panels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote:

14x8 wall should only take 7 sheets of sheetrock. so figure 8

sheetrock = $64
(12) 2x4 studs = $36
(2) 2x4x14 for header and footer = $12
misc mud tape nails = $20 (this is being very generous)
(1) prehung door 32" = $80

total i come up with in midwestern prices is $212. So if you're paying a
thousand dollars for this 6 hour project, let me know and I'll come do it
myself.

steve

If you can buy materials, build the wall, install the door, put up
drywall on both sides, tape and mud, let dry for a day and come back,
another coat of mud, let dry another day and come back for the final
coat of mud, in six hours, I'll let you know the next time I need some
construction work done!

*It only takes five minutes to go pick up the materials and then carry them
upstairs into an apartment in an urban environment. That's with one guy to
watch the double parked truck so it doesn't get towed or stolen while two
other guys hump the materials. LOL