heinzy

Default Cannot make secure fixing to internal wall

Hi There

I'm trying to recess a shower mixer valve on an internal wall of
perforated bricks. Theres a fixing bracket that needs to be recessed
about 5cm inside the wall and there is 2 holes + raw plug fixings for
this.

The problem is that the internal wall is made of perforated bricks and
so I cant get a good fixing.

Im guessing that I need to somehow fill the area behind with a filler/
resin type compound in order to screw into

Please help!!!

Ian Stirling

heinzy wrote:
Hi There

I'm trying to recess a shower mixer valve on an internal wall of
perforated bricks. Theres a fixing bracket that needs to be recessed
about 5cm inside the wall and there is 2 holes + raw plug fixings for
this.

The problem is that the internal wall is made of perforated bricks and
so I cant get a good fixing.

Im guessing that I need to somehow fill the area behind with a filler/
resin type compound in order to screw into

The general idea is to use much larger expanding bolts, or some other
fixing.
What may work well is to simply drill two 1" holes, 50-100mm deep, and
simply then glue a couple of dowels in.

heinzy wrote:
Hi There

I'm trying to recess a shower mixer valve on an internal wall of
perforated bricks. Theres a fixing bracket that needs to be recessed
about 5cm inside the wall and there is 2 holes + raw plug fixings for
this.

The problem is that the internal wall is made of perforated bricks and
so I cant get a good fixing.

Im guessing that I need to somehow fill the area behind with a filler/
resin type compound in order to screw into

Please help!!!

make the holes big to give lots of purchase. Dont use a wood plug for a
shower. Resin is strongest as it bonds to the brick, and doesnt tend to
break it.

NT

Peter Parry

On 8 Jul 2005 07:23:22 -0700, "heinzy"
wrote:

The problem is that the internal wall is made of perforated bricks and
so I cant get a good fixing.

Do you mean foamed concrete by any chance? If so drilling a hole,
filling it with hot melt plastic from a glue gun and then pushing the
screw in can be very effective.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
riccip

Peter Parry wrote:

Do you mean foamed concrete by any chance? If so drilling a hole,
filling it with hot melt plastic from a glue gun and then pushing the
screw in can be very effective.

Damned clever idea. I'll remember that one - thanks!

riccip