Default Need to make a circle in ceramic wall tile

I have a leaking bath tub faucet. Repair requires to cut a circle hole
arount faucet to access its guts. What would be best way to do it?
I have a Dremel tool and concidering buying a tile cutting bit.

Thanks.

I have a leaking bath tub faucet. Repair requires to cut a circle hole
arount faucet to access its guts. What would be best way to do it?
I have a Dremel tool and concidering buying a tile cutting bit.

You can get a hole cutting drill bit for tile. I think they go up to
an inch or more in diameter at HD. Depends on how far the faucet stem
sticks out of the wall. If you plan on replacing the stem maybe cut it
off it gets in the way of cutting?

Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a leaking bath tub faucet. Repair requires to cut a circle hole
arount faucet to access its guts. What would be best way to do it?
I have a Dremel tool and concidering buying a tile cutting bit.

Thanks.
What are you going threw? ( tile, tile board)

SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a leaking bath tub faucet. Repair requires to cut a circle hole
arount faucet to access its guts. What would be best way to do it?
I have a Dremel tool and concidering buying a tile cutting bit.

You can get a hole cutting drill bit for tile. I think they go up to
an inch or more in diameter at HD. Depends on how far the faucet stem
sticks out of the wall. If you plan on replacing the stem maybe cut it
off it gets in the way of cutting?

The box store bits are carbide. The directions say to cut from the back. IE
NOT from the glaze.
I have one and just used it for my shower head.

My suggestion is a diamond blade 4 inches and a grinder. Cut a square hole
smaller than the trim.
Diamond blades are not that expensive at harbor freight. One blade one hole
worth the 8 bucks for me.

Alex

Sacramento Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a leaking bath tub faucet. Repair requires to cut a circle hole
arount faucet to access its guts. What would be best way to do it?
I have a Dremel tool and concidering buying a tile cutting bit.

Thanks.
What are you going threw? ( tile, tile board)

It'll be a tile and a cement board(looks like green color Sheetrock)

Sacramento Dave

"Alex" wrote in message
m...
Sacramento Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a leaking bath tub faucet. Repair requires to cut a circle hole
arount faucet to access its guts. What would be best way to do it?
I have a Dremel tool and concidering buying a tile cutting bit.

Thanks.
What are you going threw? ( tile, tile board)

It'll be a tile and a cement board(looks like green color Sheetrock)

I would try to get the tile off in one piece ( not easy) unless you have
extra tile or can get it. You could use a small cold chisels to make hole.
What is leaking? and are you sure? I have a feeling your hole will get
larger once you get into it.

siralfred

why cut a circular hole? You will need to replace the tile anyway - or
are you getting a new faucet with a larger escutcheon plate? If you
have tile left over from installation you're good to go. Just scratch
out the grout and knock out the tiles around the faucet to get the
access you need. Your biggest challenge will be to repair the backer
(cement or greenboard?) once your faucet repair is done.

Alex

siralfred wrote:
why cut a circular hole? You will need to replace the tile anyway - or
are you getting a new faucet with a larger escutcheon plate? If you
have tile left over from installation you're good to go. Just scratch
out the grout and knock out the tiles around the faucet to get the
access you need. Your biggest challenge will be to repair the backer
(cement or greenboard?) once your faucet repair is done.

I am replacing a central assembly part of my faucet. It's round and has little smaller
diameter than the decorative cover plate.
I can't break existing tile since I don't have the same kind of tile to replace it.

If I can make a round hole(square hole won't work since replacement part is round and
not much smaller than cover plate) I will be able to replace part and save the tile.
Under the tile is a cement board.

Thanks.