Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat Replacement (Lux brand)

Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise
the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Justin wrote:
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise
the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

Hi,
What was your old 'stat? Lux is considered junk 'stat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Justin wrote:
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and
raise the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

Hi,
What was your old 'stat? Lux is considered junk 'stat.

Honeywell... My dad bought it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:07 pm, Justin wrote:
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise
the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

Not sure what the blue wire is being used for, but you probably need
the jumper in between the RH and RC terminals.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin" wrote in message
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise
the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

I can't see the photo. The web page wanted to install something and then it
went to an advertisement.

Take the Lux back and get a Honeywell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin" wrote in message
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise
the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

It doesn't sound like you have a thermostat problem. If turning on the fan
trips the breaker, you probably need to check the blower unit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin" wrote in message
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise
the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

If you touch the blue thermostat wire to the yellow wire, your condensing
unit should come on. If you touch the blue wire to the green wire, the
blower should come on. If these things don't occur, you have a problem
somewhere other than the thermostat

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Justin" wrote in message
[...]

People tell me I have problems.
I'll call the contractor tomorrow morning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
[...]

Be careful with the colors. I've lived in two houses where the
thermostat cable was spliced somewhere, and the colors on the wire
didn't match the colors labels on the thermostat. Very frustrating.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

Several ears ago I bought a Lux thermostat to replace an old round
inaccurate one.
I also had a subtle problem in that some thing did not turn on as expected.
I don't recall if it was the A/C or not.
But go back and check the directions carefully. The Lux was shipped set up
for gas heat (IIRC). There is a small change you have to make to set it to
work on all electric.

Hope this helps

Charlie

"Justin" wrote in message
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise
the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Justin wrote:
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and
raise the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter
what. Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it
wired:
http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

When you replaced the subbase, did you wire it back as the same as the first
stat?
If it is the same, you can use a jumper to check the system out by:
RH (Power to Heat) jumpered to W (Heat) then the heat should come on.
RC (Power to Cool) jumpered to G (Blower) then the inside blower should run.
RC (Power to Cool) jumpered to Y (Outside Condensing unit) should come on

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:51:08 +0000 (UTC), "SteveB"
wrote:

[snip]

Be careful with the colors. I've lived in two houses where the
thermostat cable was spliced somewhere, and the colors on the wire
didn't match the colors labels on the thermostat. Very frustrating.

When I replaced my thermostat, I checked the connections (at the
thermostat), and wrote those on a label I stuck on the furnace (along
with the filter size, another piece of useful info).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:53:37 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

[snip]

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

I can't see the photo. The web page wanted to install something and then it
went to an advertisement.

[snip]

I just accessed imageshack at the link above (using Firefox 3.0.1 with
NoScript extension) There's an indication the site is wanting to use
Javascript and Flash. I have not enabled either, and the photo still
displays (looks like it works better with the junk blocked). It shows
the wiring behind a thermostat:

G green
Y yellow
W white
RH red
RC blue
B (not connected)
O (no screw)
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:53:37 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I fixed it.
Cool air is flowing as we speak. It kicked off, and then kicked back on
just like its supposed to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin" wrote in message
I fixed it.
Cool air is flowing as we speak. It kicked off, and then kicked back on
just like its supposed to.

Good. And the problem was?????????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:07:08 -0400, Justin wrote:

Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a
"Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise
the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what.
Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

I see the problem right away...the unit has tipped over and fallen on its
side.

--
Don't play stupid with me - I'm better at it!

7/29/2008 11:28:58 PM