Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default Thermostat Replacement (Lux brand)

RBM wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it
with a "Lux" Brand from Lowe's.

What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and
raise the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter
what. Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut
power.

The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg

Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it
wired:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group.
The model is CAG1500
there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.

If you touch the blue thermostat wire to the yellow wire, your
condensing unit should come on. If you touch the blue wire to the
green wire, the blower should come on. If these things don't occur,
you have a problem somewhere other than the thermostat

Be careful with the colors. I've lived in two houses where the
thermostat cable was spliced somewhere, and the colors on the wire
didn't match the colors labels on the thermostat. Very frustrating.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement