Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Lights - Insulation?????

We just removed a dropped ceiling in our kitchen and put four 6"
recessed lights in the ceiling. There appears to be a slight area
around the base of the lights that's not sealed tight. We were
wondering if there is something acceptable to seal around these light
in the attic to prevent AC leakage? Foil ducting tape? Just put
insulation around them? Spray foam sealant (we're hessitant on this
as it states it's still combustable after cured)?

And should we leave the domes in the attic free of insulation so the
heat from the lights doesn't tranfer into any insulation that might be
over the light fixtures?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

infiniteMPG wrote:
We just removed a dropped ceiling in our kitchen and put four 6"
recessed lights in the ceiling. There appears to be a slight area
around the base of the lights that's not sealed tight. We were
wondering if there is something acceptable to seal around these light
in the attic to prevent AC leakage? Foil ducting tape? Just put
insulation around them? Spray foam sealant (we're hessitant on this
as it states it's still combustable after cured)?

And should we leave the domes in the attic free of insulation so the
heat from the lights doesn't tranfer into any insulation that might be
over the light fixtures?

Thanks!

Are the lights you installed rated for direct insulation contact?

I'd suspect that the metal foil duct tape might be suitable to prevent
airflow leakage, or application of a good caulk.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Are the lightsyou installed rated for direct insulation contact?

I have the paperwork from the lights, guess I could RTFM.... :O/
Didn't think to look at that as what I looked at on there at first
glance wasn't English...

I'd suspect that the metal foil duct tape might be suitable to prevent airflow leakage, or application of a good caulk.

We're just looking to seal the small gap around the light fixture in
the hole in the sheet rock to prevent AC/heat leaking and also to keep
any critters like ants or something that might invade the attic from
having direct access into the kitchen.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want to stay within code, you must use an intumescent sealer.
Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards sells it in their caulk section. It's a
caulk that expands with heat and stops the spread of flames. Never use
ordinary foam.

If the fixture isn't approved for direct contact with insulation, you
can build a dam around it with sheet metal duct.

We just removed a dropped ceiling in our kitchen and put four 6"
recessed lights in the ceiling. There appears to be a slight area
around the base of the lights that's not sealed tight. We were
wondering if there is something acceptable to seal around these light
in the attic to prevent AC leakage? Foil ducting tape? Just put
insulation around them? Spray foam sealant (we're hessitant on this
as it states it's still combustable after cured)?

And should we leave the domes in the attic free of insulation so the
heat from the lights doesn't tranfer into any insulation that might be
over the light fixtures?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Using the right type of recessed light fixture would solve the air gap
problem as they come with a metal box to keep the insulation from contacting
the hot area and seal quite tightly at the drywall plus they don't have
small holes for springs and other lamp fasteners that leak air into the
attic. Going cheap and using the wrong fixtures can cost you more when
trying to modify them to serve as something else.

"infiniteMPG" wrote in message
We just removed a dropped ceiling in our kitchen and put four 6"
recessed lights in the ceiling. There appears to be a slight area
around the base of the lights that's not sealed tight. We were
wondering if there is something acceptable to seal around these light
in the attic to prevent AC leakage? Foil ducting tape? Just put
insulation around them? Spray foam sealant (we're hessitant on this
as it states it's still combustable after cured)?

And should we leave the domes in the attic free of insulation so the
heat from the lights doesn't tranfer into any insulation that might be
over the light fixtures?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Using the right type of recessed light fixture would solve the air gap
problem as they come with a metal box to keep the insulation from
contacting the hot area and seal quite tightly at the drywall plus they
don't have small holes for springs and other lamp fasteners that leak air
into the attic. Going cheap and using the wrong fixtures can cost you more
when trying to modify them to serve as something else.

*They are called air tight housings and the cost is a little more than the
standard housing or the insulation contact (ICT) housing. Halo makes them
in many sizes. The downside to ICT and AT housings is that you are usually
limited to a maximum wattage of 75.