rck

Default Insulation question near lights

Just bought Owens-Corning fiberglass insulation. Warning printed on paper
facing say it is flammable and to keep away from heat sources, says to see
package inserts. No package inserts in packages. Does the paper facing have
to be cut back from where the electrical boxes are for the ceiling lights.
This is not recessed lighting. Does the insulation have to be cut back from
the boxes? If so, what distances are required for insulation and/or paper
facing?

Bob

rck

"B" wrote in message
om...
Insulation does not have to be cut back from electrical junction boxes.
-B

After posting my question, I ran across the Owens-Corning web site with a
help number to call. I posed my question to them and they replied "if a
light is attached to a ceiling electrical box, the paper must be trimmed
back a minimum of 3 inches from the electrical box but the fiberglass
insulation may touch the box."

Bob

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...
Just bought Owens-Corning fiberglass insulation. Warning printed on paper
facing say it is flammable and to keep away from heat sources, says to
see
package inserts. No package inserts in packages. Does the paper facing

have
to be cut back from where the electrical boxes are for the ceiling
lights.
This is not recessed lighting. Does the insulation have to be cut back

from
the boxes? If so, what distances are required for insulation and/or paper
facing?

Bob

Greg

if a
light is attached to a ceiling electrical box, the paper must be trimmed
back a minimum of 3 inches from the electrical box but the fiberglass
insulation may touch the box."

If you do that it might be a good idea to cover the hole with aluminum foil to
maintain the vapor barrier.
SQLit

"rck" wrote in message
ink.net...

"B" wrote in message
om...
Insulation does not have to be cut back from electrical junction boxes.
-B

After posting my question, I ran across the Owens-Corning web site with a
help number to call. I posed my question to them and they replied "if a
light is attached to a ceiling electrical box, the paper must be trimmed
back a minimum of 3 inches from the electrical box but the fiberglass
insulation may touch the box."

Bob

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...
Just bought Owens-Corning fiberglass insulation. Warning printed on

paper
facing say it is flammable and to keep away from heat sources, says to
see
package inserts. No package inserts in packages. Does the paper facing

have
to be cut back from where the electrical boxes are for the ceiling
lights.
This is not recessed lighting. Does the insulation have to be cut back

from
the boxes? If so, what distances are required for insulation and/or

paper
facing?

Bob

cover the box with tin foil and then leave the insulation alone. The
manufacuture is being very cautious. Paper is paper, if there was an spark
you could have a fire.

rck

cover the box with tin foil and then leave the insulation alone. The
manufacuture is being very cautious. Paper is paper, if there was an
spark
you could have a fire.

I understand, sometimes there are mfg specs and then there is the way
everyone else does it.

Bob

rck

"B" wrote in message
om...
Insulation does not have to be cut back from electrical junction boxes.
-B

You are correct. When I phoned Owens-Corning, it appears they look at their
database and then read back an answer which seems to match the question.
Their e-mailed response to me says it is necessary to cut back the paper for
recessed lighting, but that wasn't my question to them. I plainly stated it
was not recessed lighting. Bottom line is, Owens-Corning probably has a
bunch of customer support people in India or China reading scripts from a
computer and they don't have any knowledgeable people capable of answering a
question correctly. I've done a lot of extra work for nothing based on their
wrong answers.

Bob

Astro

Ok, here's a variant on the original question..
I had some recessed lights installed a few years back. There's blown in
insulation in my attic. From the looks of it, the blown in stuff is
shredded pink insulation mixed with rock wool. It's definitely not
cellulose.

In some places, the electrician removed all the insulation around the
lights, in others, he covered the lights.

Three questions:

1) What is the proper method of insulating around recessed lighting?
2) What should be done to minimize infiltration around the fixtures?
3) Should radiant barrier over the blown in insulation be cut out around
the recessed lights?

Thanks.

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:00:51 GMT, rck
wrote: