Posted to alt.home.repair
tr tr is offline

Default new ceiling insulation around canister lights ?

In a room remodel...I have new IC rated canister lights and I am
replacing the old insulation with new Kraft batts. Should i just
install the batts above the canister tops...or cut the batts around
the canisters so it isn't 'compressed' somewhat against the ceiling ?

Thanks, TR

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If you have enough room above the frames, you can run insulation there, I
wouldn't compress it though

"tr" wrote in message
ups.com...
In a room remodel...I have new IC rated canister lights and I am
replacing the old insulation with new Kraft batts. Should i just
install the batts above the canister tops...or cut the batts around
the canisters so it isn't 'compressed' somewhat against the ceiling ?

Thanks, TR

Posted to alt.home.repair

do not insulate around an IC or non IC remodeling light
if there is a vapor retarder on the insulation
always leave the insulation a few inches away from the heat source

"tr" wrote in message
ups.com...
In a room remodel...I have new IC rated canister lights and I am
replacing the old insulation with new Kraft batts. Should i just
install the batts above the canister tops...or cut the batts around
the canisters so it isn't 'compressed' somewhat against the ceiling ?

Thanks, TR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Proper technique would be to cut the batts,
and then insulate around the IC cans with additional material.
Ideally, removing the vapor barrior, but since its up against metal it
won't really matter.

Lots of labor and rarely done by pros...

Richard Reid, LC